Sealskinz socks - is there an alternative?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looking for pressies, are Sealskinz the only maker of waterproof socks? they seem to be the only brand found when I search for 'waterproof'

Their prices seem to be ever climbing, £25 for mid length/weight ones seems the going rate unless you have small or large feet where there are some cheaper ones on offer on Ebay.

I found them not very warm and a bit of a funny shape, the toes go to a point ! However they have proved to be waterproof.

aberal

Guru
I used them for a number of years but in truth found them not very waterproof and not very warm. For a similar sum you could get decent overshoes which do the same job 10X better.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have used them for a number of years and found them to be waterproof and very warm.
I swear by them.

Strange how people have differing opinions of the same thing.

I would imagine socks to be one of the more polarizing objects too. I see some people wandering around in flip flops while i'm in two pairs of socks already.

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Sealskinz are very good but can eventually get saturated after several hours of very wet conditions.
Gore also make waterproof socks but they are not as comfortable as Sealskinz
http://www.goreapparel.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-gt-socks/4017912124072,default,pd.html?cm_mmc=Google:tired:Gore DE_UK_PLA:tired:All Products:tired:Feed UK
I have Gore socks as well as the MVP ones, with the gore I wear silk liner socks inside them and thin socks over them, saves them chaffing on the shoes and leaking

Using Sealskinz for cold and wet rides. I think the catch 22 is that you need to use overshoes make best use of them. Don't go buying Sealskinz expecting to put them on along with your shoes and off you go. You will get cold feet!

I use an under sock, in extreme cold/wet weather, along with shoe covers. The covers are neoprene and waterproof - to an extent. That combination seems to be an any weather formula but like many others i had bought Sealskinz in the thinking that they would do away with the need for shoe covers. They don't, your feet will get cold but not wet.

I know a few cyclists who use Merino wool socks over a normal pair of socks. Even if feet get wet they say that their feet remain warm.

Teuchter

Über Member
Google British Army MVP waterproof socks:thumbsup:
Seconded. Under £20 on eBay.

I've got a single medium one in good condition at home after I somehow lost its partner last year.... tenner delivered for any one-legged trike riders out there? :whistle:

Used these for winter cycling under non waterproof shoes and also for motorbike touring in the days before I discovered that waterproof motorbike boots weren't actually a myth (like waterproof gloves are!). A 500 mile day on a motorbike through torrential Norwegian rain wearing these under an old pair of German para boots and my feet stayed dry.

Top Bottom