Sealskinz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I just bought some Sealskinz socks..... The intention is to keep my feet warm, we shall see! Test ride for them on friday.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I quite like my Sealskinz socks. They don't keep you dry - there's a big hole at the top - but they have the advantage over some other fabrics that once you're wet you don't get cold.

OP
OP
Jason.T

Jason.T

Well I wasn't expectedting that, I thought they would of been good

Perhaps a some waterproof overshoes would be better

I don't really suffer from the cold, where I work is very cold and I've been there for 10 years so I'm kind of acclimatised to it, the only time my feet have ever been cold was when they got wet which is why I thought seal skins would be good

I'm glad I asked now I didn't expect most people to be disappointed with them

MikeW-71

Veteran
After trying out the Sealskinz socks. They seem to work, feet weren't the usual blocks of ice after 3 hours. Not warm mind you, just less cold.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
After trying out the Sealskinz socks. They seem to work, feet weren't the usual blocks of ice after 3 hours. Not warm mind you, just less cold.

Did you get the thin or mid pair?
Whichever, teamed up with a pair of thermal socks then I guarantee your tootsies will be toastie warm.

JamesTaylor02

I highly rate Sealskinz products; it's just knowing when to use them. Due to their waterproofing rating – they're as good as a secondary barrier to water ingress, definitely not a primary barrier (depending on application).

I would say that using something in accordance with the socks [i.e. overshoes] is best for the heavy downpours many of us experience whilst out on our bikes. The socks themselves won't cover that sort of rain but gentle showers they'll be more than enough.

Generally speaking, to be fully protected against water, the product needs to have a waterproof rating of 10,000mm hydrostatic head (that's simply just the way that materials are measured against water ingress). The Sealskinz products are usually about 5,000mm. So, at best, they are highly water resistant at best.

However... A product only needs to be 1,000mm hydrostatic head to be sold as waterproof. It's just that there is a recommended level of waterproofing for the UK alone for complete water protection. Anything lower than 10,000mm and the product will begin leaking past it's protection level [depending on how highly it is rated].

Apologies for the really long answer; but it's the best way I could answer the question – as well as maybe stick up for Sealskinz in the process.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In a strange way Sealkinz socks work for some people and not others.
They work for me but not for @martint235

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I use sealskinz, as Mr Taylor above says, used with overshoes they are brilliant. I went through a lot of standing water and heavy rain this morning and my feet were lovely and dry when I got to work.

alans

black belt lounge lizard
It seems that Sealskinz sox are the Marmite of cycling footwear..some folk like 'em & some folk don't.

I have waded thru' a metre of water in mine & my feet remained dry.The hole in the top of the sock was filled with l.e.g..

Cyc_al

I suffered form cold feet especially when it was wet so thought these would be the answer. They did keep my feet dry however when the temperature drops and the wind chill rises, my feet got cold and sore as with any other socks. Overshoes help. The big difference is blocking all those summer vents in my shoes with tape. Currently trying the winter boots which seem much better and waterproof (they also suffer from water down the leg)

Top Bottom