Seamons Llangollen Panorama

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I'm tempted by it, will need to look into stealing or borrowing a car to get to the start though.

Plax

Guru
Tempting but I've never done an Audax before and I don't think I'd be fast enough for the roadies on my touring bike (no road bike as of yet).

longers

Legendary Member
You'd need to average 12 kph for the whole ride Plax, you'd be fine surely?
This is averaged over the total time elapsed so includes cake stops et al.

Getting round and enjoying the day out is more important than keeping up with the quicker riders no?

Tarbo

Any information on this ride or a link ? No far from me so may be interested. There's also a 172Km ride from roughly the same area at the end of May which I'm thinking of doing.

longers

Legendary Member
I can't get it to link from the AUK website but it's listed there on that date under the Willington Hall start in the calendar.

Plax

Guru
longers said:
You'd need to average 12 kph for the whole ride Plax, you'd be fine surely?
This is averaged over the total time elapsed so includes cake stops et al.

Getting round and enjoying the day out is more important than keeping up with the quicker riders no?

I don't do kph, but Google says it's 7.45645431 mph? That's awfully slow, even with the CTC they average 9-10mph......
If that's the case then yes I could do that easily enough.

longers

Legendary Member
It's a half eight start so you'll need to finish before eight in the evening if my maths is correct.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
longers said:
How did you get the links from the calendar Colin?
The audax site uses a 'frame' to contain the pages so if you look at the address bar it always gives the address of the frame, not the contents of it. I got the addresses from the links in the calendar before clicking on them.

In my Opera web browser, I just right click on the link and select Copy Link Address from the popup menu.

In Internet Explorer, that would be right click, then Copy Shortcut.

In Firefox, it is right click, then Copy Link Location.

I think those frame thingies are a nuisance. Bookmarks don't work with them. If you navigate direct to one of those pages, there isn't a route back to the parent frame.

longers

Legendary Member
Thanks for that Colin ;)

I won't be out to play for this, going to have to have a rest and it will have to be this weekend.

llanberispass

Hi everyone.

I am in the Seamons and have ridden this most years since inception. The start is from Willington Hall hotel with parking on site. The sign-on is inside the hotel with coffee (and tea) provided. The finish is at a pub about 1.5 miles away (downhill from pub back to hotel!).

The route is great with quiet roads mostly (Colin will find this pleasant difference from Brian Robinson yesterday!).

Times range from about 8.5 hours upto 12 (or more!) hours for the 127 mile route. Each to their own pace.

Route can be summarised as:

Across Cheshire plain to Welsh hills
First climb to cafe at Prospect Place.
Downhill followed by undulating ride along Dee valley to foot of Milltir Cerrig. Some 'stingers' there! Cafe in Corwen.
Over Milltir Cerrig (just checked and less than climb over Holme Moss yesterday just lot longer distance wise)
Two climbs over to Chirk (cafe) (one a nasty one at the end i.e. steep) then across Cheshire plain to finish (a little sting in the tail at the end).

Hope to see you on the day!

PS Makes a great training ride for Sportive riders but remember is self guided.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
llanberispass said:
The route is great with quiet roads mostly (Colin will find this pleasant difference from Brian Robinson yesterday!).
I'm sure I would if I rode the event, but I'll be riding the Cotswold Challenge instead!

Maybe next year, if I can arrange a lift with someone?

Enjoy it folks - it sounds excellent!

Top Bottom