Seapost sizing & shims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I'm still being plagued by the creaking seatpost on my SCR2. It gets temporarily cured (usually) by removing the seatpost and shim, and cleaning the shim up, then regreasing and re-inserting.

I've taped up the slot in the seatpost tube on the frame to stop mucky water getting in when it's wet, but that's not helped.

I'm considering getting a new seatpost that'll do away with the need for a shim. The trouble is, the seatpost diameter marked on the frame is 31.7 (I think, or is it 30.7 ?) and the closest size I can find online is always 31.6. Therefore there's a 1mm difference that'll probably creak even more unless there's a shim.

Anyone fitted a seatpost that's 1mm out without any problems, or did you all have to use a bit of a Coke Can as a thin shim ?

On my old bike I used to have a coke can for a shim, I never had a problem with it.

james_so

goo_mason said:
I'm considering getting a new seatpost that'll do away with the need for a shim. The trouble is, the seatpost diameter marked on the frame is 31.7 (I think, or is it 30.7 ?) and the closest size I can find online is always 31.6. Therefore there's a 1mm difference that'll probably creak even more unless there's a shim.

31.7 mm -> 31.6 mm is 1/10th of a mm, not really very much TBH and would be easily taken up when tightening the clamp, but I'm no expert on such things so may well be wrong ;)

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Did you bend a bit over the top so that it didn't accidentally drop into the seat tube when you were putting it in ?

One more question for anyone to answer - could I wrap electrical tape around the outside of the existing shim to provide a barrier between it and the frame and prevent the metal on metal contact ?

Top Bottom