Search bug

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think that I have found a bug in the forum search function ...

I was trying to find all the forum rides that I have taken part in this year so I did this search:

Search threads and posts

Keywords: ride

Posted by member: colinj

Ticked Search threads started by this member only box

Newer than: 2012-01-01

Minimum Number of Replies: 0

Thread Prefixes: (Any)

Search in Forums: CC & informal Rides and Events

Ticked Search child forums as well box

Selected Order By: Most Recent

Ticked Display results as threads box

I did the search and got NO RESULTS FOUND. Wrong - I had started several matching threads.

When I unticked the Search threads started by this member only box the results were correct and included the threads started by me!

Have I gone thick, or something (it's possible! ^_^), but it looks wrong to me ...

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I try the search sometimes, before I post a question or if I want to check on a thread I read previously and it almost never finds it even though im absolutely sure I remember a specific or near unique word in the title. Most of the time i find its easier to search google for: site:www.cyclechat.net keywords :wacko:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Another search problem: I was searching for my posts including the word 'dogs' but the results included those with the words 'dog' and 'dogging'. There is something weird going on there!

Shaun

Founder
Do your first search again, but this time don't tick to display results as threads - it'll work. The search criteria you have specific already brings back only threads so the last option is redundant.

With regards to alternate words coming up in the results, CycleChat uses a separate search system with a separate engine on the server because of the large number of threads/posts. The search engine uses a "stemming analyzer", which means that words are reduced to their roots before searches are performed and alternates are searched for too - leading to a broader range of results and catching things that a more literal search would miss.

If you wish to search for specific words and phrases just wrap them in quotes.

The wildcard * symbol also works for parts of words. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

With regards to alternate words coming up in the results, CycleChat uses a separate search system with a separate engine on the server because of the large number of threads/posts. The search engine uses a "stemming analyzer", which means that words are reduced to their roots before searches are performed and alternates are searched for too - leading to a broader range of results and catching things that a more literal search would miss.

If you wish to search for specific words and phrases just wrap them in quotes.

The wildcard * symbol also works for parts of words.
"dogs" still returns matches for dog!

Top Bottom