Search for a Steel Cyclocrossgravelcommuterbike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EckyH

EckyH

You can usually mount Thru-Axle wheels on a QR bike, but you won't be able to do so in the opposite direction, which is what the OP is looking for.
Exactly.

Eg. for the commuter bike I decided to go for high(est) quality hub dynamo and invested in a SON - no exchangable end caps.
Other 700c wheels here are with good shimano QR/disc hubs which prevent the simple "change the end caps" as well.

The Spa Elan from Spa Cycles Harrogate, North Yorkshire ticks most of your boxes, but zero chance of getting it on the German cycle to work scheme.
The Elan frame looks promising and the pricing is very reasonable imho.
But even without the CTW scheme: they simply don't ship frames to the rest of Europe. When I checked it the last time few minutes ago, Germany still was in Europe. ;)
Unfortunately there is no opportunity for me to visit the UK in the foreseeable future.

In the mean time I sent an email to Surly and asked for detailed information about the cable routing and cable fixing for the front derailleur.
They promised to answer within the next 5-6 business days.

E.

Venod

Eh up
Exactly.

Eg. for the commuter bike I decided to go for high(est) quality hub dynamo and invested in a SON - no exchangable end caps.
Other 700c wheels here are with good shimano QR/disc hubs which prevent the simple "change the end caps" as well.

The Elan frame looks promising and the pricing is very reasonable imho.
But even without the CTW scheme: they simply don't ship frames to the rest of Europe. When I checked it the last time few minutes ago, Germany still was in Europe. ;)
Unfortunately there is no opportunity for me to visit the UK in the foreseeable future.

In the mean time I sent an email to Surly and asked for detailed information about the cable routing and cable fixing for the front derailleur.
They promised to answer within the next 5-6 business days.

E.

Yes they have had that no shipment policy a while, I forgot to mention they would probably supply the bike or frame with a steel fork if asked, despite having a reputation of been grumpy, they are obliging.
But that's no good if you can't purchase one, unless you have friends or family willing to purchase and arrange shipping for you

chriswoody

Legendary Member
There are a lot of Bespoke frame manufacturers as well as some really good smaller scale bike manufacturers. German firms like Bombtrack, Dlouhy Cycles and Sour Cycles for example make some great bikes out of steel, but they all have Thru Axles as well as other features that excludes them from the OP's requirements.

Another completely novel idea is to maybe make your own frame, Big Forest frameworks in Potsdam offer courses in steel frame building. https://bigforestframeworks.com/en/gravel-bike-frame-building-course/

Of course the other issue here is not only cost with these smaller bike building companies, but the fact that many of them don't offer the C2W scheme either.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think some of the issue is QR and discs as most manufacturers moved to through axel quickly and finding a new frame is a problem.

How about looking at 'used' ? I specifically bought a used CX bike because I have spare road wheels and its still easy to get narrow road rims and road hubs. Down side with a race CX bike is it can only take clip on guards and not many fit due to canti brakes.

OP
OP
EckyH

EckyH

Yes, QR nowadays is on the steep descent. That seems to be the biggest issue.
Another completely novel idea is to maybe make your own frame, Big Forest frameworks in Potsdam offer courses in steel frame building.
Once I had the opportunity to do some preparations (most of the geometry, design decisions, some of the preparations for the tubes) for a frame builder who built a frame for me and watching the frame build. It was very insightful and taught me that it wouldn't be a good idea for me to jump in that rabbit hole.

Another issue is cost: the Big Forest frame will cost at least 2600€. That's a bit out of my pecuniary reach.

How about looking at 'used' ?
That's a good idea. For instance the older Surly Disc Trucker frames for 700c would fit the bill.

Some of the lower spec Kona Rove’s come in quick release.
Unfortunately they are all made of aluminum and they have internal cable routing.
As do Marin Nicasio and Four Corners. They are available in Germany.
The geometry of the Four Corners isn't my cup of tea at all.
The Nicasio has got very short chainstays (420mm). So their claim of 40mm tire clearance might be true. The 435mm of the Surly Preamble could have just the tiny bit of space more that allows 42mm tires.

At the moment I tend to opt for the Preamble: the short head tube can be "compensated" eg. with the VO tall stack stem, it is available as frame kit and as a complete bicycle here in Germany and the price is more or less reasonable.

Fortunately the frames are no frogs, so they won't jump aside. Therefore I have some time to consultate my pillow before I make a decision.

Thank you all for your input, it helped me a lot to rethink my idea.

E.

Jameshow

Veteran
Yes they have had that no shipment policy a while, I forgot to mention they would probably supply the bike or frame with a steel fork if asked, despite having a reputation of been grumpy, they are obliging.
But that's no good if you can't purchase one, unless you have friends or family willing to purchase and arrange shipping for you

Can you not get it shipped to Germany via an expat man and van? Expats in Prague have one so I'm guessing most big German cities will have one. Customs might be an issue. A demonstrator might get round that.

OP
OP
EckyH

EckyH

The pillow didn't answer back. Therefore I ordered a white Preamble frame and fork.
Overall it is the lesser evil of all other options: the frame set matches most of my "must have" except the long head tube (but Spacers and the Velo Orange Tall Stack exist), it is easy to purchase for me and the price is tolerable for me.

Thank you again,

E.

Top Bottom