England : West Yorkshire Season of Mist 11th october 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

busdennis

Veteran
the season of mist is a great 105km Audax organised by West Yorkshire CTC starting at 9am from Mytholmroyd nr Hebdon Bridge with a generous time allowance costing £4.50 ( the post ride food spred is worth this fee alone).
I rode by myself last year but in previous years a cycle chat group has formed. its a very popular ride so if anybody is interested lets get this thread going.

I'm not very good with links so if anybody can help with the rides web site and route it would be much appreciated nudge nudge colinj

cheers
busdennis

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ha ha!

It starts from Mytholmroyd Community Centre this year, just off the A646 in 'royd, about 2 miles nearer to Halifax than the usual event HQ.

Organiser's webpage.

Audax webpage for the event.

It should be pointed out that the scenery is fantastic and the reason for that is because you spend the whole day going up and down some spectacular hills in West Yorkshire and Lancashire, so the event is not really suited to hill-haters or absolute beginners! Unless you are a superb climber, bring a bike with nice low gears ...

To whet your appetites (or put you off!), here is the route profile ...

season_of_mists_profile.gif

That is for the usual Hebden Bridge start which rather wickedly goes straight up the steep Heptonstall Rd without a warmup. At least you will get an extra 3 km of flat road tagged on at the start and finish this year, not shown on that profile.

(If you would prefer an easier ride, then there is a slimmed down version which starts an hour after the main event - Mellow Fruitfulness.)

I have family commitments that weekend so I will be missing the ride, but I highly recommend it so sign up on the audax site and post below!

If you have any questions about the event, I'd be happy to answer them or someone else will come along and give their opinions.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
It should be pointed out that the scenery is fantastic

If the weather is anything like it was for this years Spring into the Dales you wont be seeing any scenery..... just mist and driving rain.
One of the control questions was about the number of doors on a barn.... you couldn't see a bloody barn, just a slightly more solid patch of fog :smile:

Mrs Kes and I are hoping to ride the shorter route, depends on availability of child minders and my improving fitness.

Only a helper as I wasn't able to ride due to family commitments that required me to be able to get home at short notice but the route was well recieved by riders as was the cake at the end ^_^.I may try to get out and ride the route later as well if circumstance allows as everyone agreed it was scenic :bicycle:

Paul

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Only a helper as I wasn't able to ride due to family commitments that required me to be able to get home at short notice but the route was well recieved by riders as was the cake at the end ^_^.I may try to get out and ride the route later as well if circumstance allows as everyone agreed it was scenic :bicycle:

Paul
It is definitely a very scenic route. The only non-scenic bits are when passing through the fringes of Burnley on the way out and through Nelson on the way back, but it doesn't take long to get beyond them.

I have decided to do a variation on the route since I will not be doing it as an audax this time and fancy a change. I have modified the route to start and finish in Todmorden and to form a figure of 8, rather than a simple loop. The middle half will be done in the opposite direction to normal. There are some roads out there which I have not ridden in that direction.

Top Bottom