Seasons greetings.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
MERRY CHRISTMAS ๐Ÿง‘โ€๐ŸŽ„๐Ÿง‘โ€๐ŸŽ„๐Ÿง‘โ€๐ŸŽ„

20231224_130336.jpg

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm off to the cemetery to visit my long gone relatives. How cheerful eh!!:laugh:๐Ÿค™

Jameshow

Veteran
Was thinking of you (as you have been where I am).
Christmas has never been a BIG thing for us but this will be the 1st one on my own**.
But I sincerely wish a good, happy day and a better 2024 to all on here.
** the family want me to join them but I think I would just spend the day wishing Sue was with me.

This is my first on my own despite being with my extended family, I know how you feel despite video calls to the kids....

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'll photograph one or two and post the pics' later today of the graves with a lamp on. Most are graves from the 1960's, but I think there might be one one from the 1990's.

Sadly the grave's inscription had faded badly over the decades @Reynard. I think those lanterns have been there for quite a while now.

J4WdOPNaNd_pk5TsjIKCC8ToyM&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=PA_TfbhZS-kAX9ssaka&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

Not great photos as they were taken at 16:07 when it was already going dark, but as you can see a candle has been lit on this looks like a Polish grave, today.

nc_ohc=_DLrxVL-7EcAX_tNQPO&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=MCneOfbn2kgAX_DQdwq&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=-fwz4XLNTYYAX9C0361&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm sending you this virtual reality present @Oldhippy! :cheers:

s-l1600.jpg

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The first grave is definitely Polish. The S.P. at the top translates as ลšwiฤ™tej Pamiฤ™ci i.e. In Blessed Memory.

The second grave, with the candle, is Czech.

I've often though that the second grave wasn't quite Polish looking enough. I thought the occupants could've been Bulgarian or Romanian, but now I know. How can you tell the difference?

I've often though that the second grave wasn't quite Polish looking enough. I thought the occupants could've been Bulgarian or Romanian, but now I know. How can you tell the difference?

Polish doesn't have any caron accents on any of the letters. Czech and Slovak does.

The languages though are similar but not the same, so if you've got the grasp of one, you'll be able to get the gist of stuff in the other. A bit like Dutch & German.

Jameshow

Veteran
I was talking about it to my family. There must be 100s/1000s of people going through similar.....but this is "your" pain and personal to you.
Keep going and stay as strong as possible. My best wishes to you.

Thanks Dave appreciated,
and feel your loss and grief at this time. ๐Ÿค—

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
We had to do another xmas lunch yesterday (boxing day) as my partner's son wasn't with us for xmas day. We had beef and pork which I actually enjoyed more than the turkey. We then had my parents and my son for boxing day evening, we ate a few cold meats and salad and then played pictionary. Today feels quite subdued; I'm back to work but working from home, the weather is awful, but we have NYE to look forward to when it's our joint housewarming/NYE party which is open house from 2pm. Will be seeing the other side of the family for the first time in months, plus friends from work and wider friend "community". I've been drinking sherry for the past week so today feels both a healthier and more hydrated day all round. Hoping to get out for a walk when the weather improves. It's also sort of a new start for us (in the new house) but also will be a goodbye to my partner's eldest son who's going away to the army in mid-Jan

Top Bottom