Seat/clamp fix for bike too tall?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

BataviaJim

Regular
Even doing an emergency stop you will still be in balance under heavy braking, as you come to a stop just slide off as before.
Be aware those 'suicide levers' will reduce braking force.

I think your Traveler is an earlier model looking at the center pull brakes. The front wheel looks like a replacement. The part chrome forks are cool. Are those rims steel? If so watch out for less effective braking in the wet.
Mine is interesting in that the only American component they could find to put on it were the rims, made by Sun who also made motorcycle rims.
One of my favourite bikes.
I think my bike is from 1979 because the serial number is 79 03 31009 which I interpret as March 1979, although I can't confirm that online.
The rims aren't steel.
The bike is beautiful, not quite mint condition -- a few scratches here and there -- but in excellent shape.
Honestly I prefer riding my Raleigh 3-speed, which coincidentally is also from 1979. I'm a little more comfortable in the upright position, the seat is softer, and I feel a little safer on it because of the height issue.

OP
OP
B

BataviaJim

Regular
But thats incorrect. When stationary you should be out of the saddle and one foot flat on the floor. There is no riding or sizing scenario where butt-in-saddle-and-tippie-toe is appropriate.

As a rough guide, if you're tippie toe when seated youre likely not far off the correct position.
I didn't explain myself very well. I don't want to remain in a position with my behind in the saddle and both toes on the ground. You're correct that if it were more than a second while re-positioning I would be off the saddle and one foot on the ground. I was just trying to describe what the fit was like.
I do want to feel like, in an emergency, I can support myself for a few seconds with either foot, or both feet if fully extended. It's the "surprise" situation that I feel uneasy about.

boydj

Legendary Member
If you have the saddle at the correct height you will very quickly learn to slide off the saddle as you come to a stop without even thinking about it in just the same way as you automatically unclip as you come to rest if you are clipped in. This is true even in emergency situations. My toes are nowhere near the ground when I'm in the saddle, yet I commuted, clipped in, in heavy traffic for many years without ever falling over - except that one time when I couldn't get unclipped quickly enough when the car in front at the lights started and then stopped again immediately.

Top Bottom