Seat post diameter.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BretonM

Hello all,
How do I know the diameter of a suitable seat post for my bike.
Is there a general size.
Thanks.

Hello all,
How do I know the diameter of a suitable seat post for my bike.
Is there a general size.
Thanks.
Unfortunately not, just measure internal diameter of your seat tube in mm hey presto!

S-Express

Look at the old seatpost - there should be a size stamped on it somewhere near the lower end. Or simply measure the bore of the seat tube with some verniers.

ChrisEyles

Guru
You have to be quite accurate when you're sizing a seat post, usually to within 0.2mm, so eyeballing it with a tape measure is tricky, it's better to use calipers if you can get hold of a set.

How old is your bike? Lots of decent old frames use 27.2mm posts. My old '97 Marin took a 27.0mm post and someone had rammed in a 27.2mm... it was functional but tricky to adjust and had visibly bent the top of the seat tube a little.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

You have to be quite accurate when you're sizing a seat post, usually to within 0.2mm, so eyeballing it with a tape measure is tricky, it's better to use calipers if you can get hold of a set.

How old is your bike? Lots of decent old frames use 27.2mm posts. My old '97 Marin took a 27.0mm post and someone had rammed in a 27.2mm... it was functional but tricky to adjust and had visibly bent the top of the seat tube a little.
I'll measure it thanks.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
or try looking up your bike on bikepedia.com, though of course proper measurement is a better guarantee of correct information. If your bike is an old steel bike then chances are it's 27.2mm (it was a very common size), if it's a more modern alu frame, then it's very likely it will be a larger diameter (e.g. 30.9mm but not necessarily). Generally speaking steel frames have smaller diameter tubes than alu and hence seatpost diameters are usually smaller on steel framed bikes than alu ones. Alas, standardization of seatpost diameters isn't... standard.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the poster and say that it's probably not a good idea to go to the nearest 0.2mm (though I'll freely admit I haven't tried it), particularly if you are oversizing the seatpost. Certainly with steel frames you can have an issue of alloy seatposts bonding to steel frames and being 0.2mm oversize won't help this. And I'm not sure I'd want to force in a seatpost in an alu frame either. I would think it's best to get the seatpost size intended for the frame.

RegG

Über Member
If this is of any use, I found a new seat post, for the Diamondback I recently rebuilt, from Wheelies......

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p19056/System-EX-Seat-Post.aspx

They list a dozen different sizes for this particular seat post which I have been very pleased with. But as others have said, you do need to make sure you get the right size so get the old one measured before ordering! Good luck.

Top Bottom