Seat post fused into seat tube.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zippy

... Basically,the tube just needs a good clean up to burn out the oxides and a few stubborn bits of Alu which won't lever out. A few days in NaOH should sort that. Must remember to plug all exits from the downtube so it doesn't find ways into other bits around the frame.

My rear wheel has looked better, but my rims are wearing thin anyway so due for replacement soon. A rub over with wetsand paper has smoothed off most of the flowering where the NaOH has oxidised the rims.

I caused some damage with NaOH leaking along the crossbar and rear wheel stays. To anyone else considering caustic soda I would just add it's essential to remove the BB and to plug any rain culverts along the rear wheel stays to prevent the solution finding its way along the frame and out through rain drains and onto your Alu wheel rims and derraileur! Just plug the BB tightly with polythene to make a seal.

Also tilt the frame slightly so the solution is running toward the saddle stem (bike upright) so when the NaOH finally breaks through it doesnt run along the crossbar and out through your nicely greased headset - mine will need cleaning out and regreasing!

Hope this helps someone else. As for me I am very tired but very happy :biggrin:

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Well done - I would have dumped the frame long ago!

raindog

er.....
Zippy said:
Raindog - good news - you can sleep properly again!

One sacrificial 1/4" chisel, about 4 hours with a good hacksaw blade and a long screwdriver, and ...
Thank Christ for that - champagne all round!:biggrin:

Zippy

And, what a beautiful sight.....
It will be Panter when I've retouched the paintwork and cleaned out that crater of a downtube!

Thanks accountantpete - I would have thrown it out long ago too except we've been places that frame an' me!

I'd just like to say a big THANK YOU to all you who have fed in ideas, tips and support while I've struggled with this project - really appreciated.

stewie griffin

Über Member
:wacko:

Very well done for persevering, lots of folk would have given up or ruined the frame in the process!

Just out of curiosity, how much evidence is there of the caustic eating away the alloy? Hard to see in the photo but doesn't look like much.

Norm

Zippy said:
Raindog - good news - you can sleep properly again!

One sacrificial 1/4" chisel, about 4 hours with a good hacksaw blade and a long screwdriver, and ...
Excellent, Zippy, nice one! :biggrin:

Zippy

Just out of curiosity, how much evidence is there of the caustic eating away the alloy?
Stewie - thank you.
The annoying thing there is I discovered too late that the top and bottom rear wheel struts open into the downtube so much of the caustic was finding its way along the inside of the struts and out through rain drainage holes.

Tonight I have the BB, crossbar and those strut holes plugged with polythene (which doesn't seem to react in NaOH) and the downtube is fizzing away at the last bits of aluminium and the oxide on the downtube walls really well and I imagine the whole job would have been so much easier if I had stripped the bike down to the frame and realised the problem earlier.

I hope the above is of use to someone else considering using this method.

Really - I cannot thank you guys enough as without you all chipping in (including Peanut) I don't thhink I would have persevered quite so long as I did to get the job done.

I have the slow process now of cleaning up, stripping down and regreasing the headset (see why above), rebuilding and touching up some paintwork.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Zippy said:
It will be Panter when I've retouched the paintwork and cleaned out that crater of a downtube!

Thanks accountantpete - I would have thrown it out long ago too except we've been places that frame an' me!

I'd just like to say a big THANK YOU to all you who have fed in ideas, tips and support while I've struggled with this project - really appreciated.

Just to make clear, I did mean that most sincerely, I bet it was a sight you started to wonder if you'd ever see!

Zippy

Sincerely taken Panter! And it was a good feeling as you can imagine.

Even better, I have since poured a tube full of caustic down there to clean out the remaining stubborn bits and they have been fizzing away nicely!

Its a twenty year old frame and holds a lot of memories for me. I don't think I would cry much if it was stolen or found to be irrepairable, but I like to see how long I can keep it going. It must have had a brand new decent cycle's worth of upgrades and expendables by now. :biggrin:

Zippy

Hi Uncle Phil - I thought you'd lost interest, or just couldn't bear to watch any more!

The story is my seat post was always a little low but when it came to adjusting up I found the post was stuck. That was about two years ago and I maybe could have wrenched it loose back then before it all became too late.

As a result I have noticed my thighs have been really tired on commutes because my legs were never getting a complete rest stretch in the rotation. I had always felt I could get more speed and recouperation out of each cycle if my saddle was higher.

Then I decided to change over to SPD pedals and the height difference between flat pedals and Hi Tec Squash trainers and SPD pedals and cleated shoes meant I definitely needed to raise the seat post; hence the saga.

A while back I wouldn't have had the courage to take my bike apart and certainly not tackle a job like I have done. It has been through forums such as CC that has increased my interest in cycling more and the courage to have a go at maintaining my own cycle.

As good as your lbs is, you never really know what the've done or not done when you hand your precious steed over to their good care. I decided to take the responsibility on myself as much as possible. I look forward to rebuilding the project and feeling the benefit of my labours.

I tell you true - I'll always keep my steed well lubed from now on!

02GF74

Über Member
Zippy said:
some spills got onto my alloy rims and they were burned slightly.

err remove the wheels form the frame and put them in sthe shed would stop that happening.:rofl:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Well done Zippy for persevering above and beyond.... Britain salutes you! We took a few casualties along the way but:biggrin:

Top Bottom