Seat post not wanting to move

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
I need to adjust the height of the seat post on my Carbon frame, but it isn’t wanting to budge with the norm,al force I can apply manually , it is a pear shaped post so cannot twist it and I think it’s a metal alloy of sorts ( but need to do a test to see if I can make out what material it is made of ) , I’m a tad reluctant to start squirting penetrating oils on it or tapping it up or down , I’ve toyed with using a hait dryer but not sure how that will go if the post expands and the carbon I’m pretty sure won’t , it has been mentioned to turn bike over put a bar through the saddle clamps put my feet on that and tug on the chain stays , if it is seized then I’m fairly sure any force may ultimately be very detrimatal to the frame , any ideas ?

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I hope this doesn't end with a cracking noise

Have you tried giving it a gentle tap downwards to see if that breaks the bond ?

Saw it off. Follow instructions which have been posted here before. Carbon and aluminium makes an incredibly tight bond* by way of galvanic corrosion. It won't budge. Penetrating oils won't work, they just stink up the place and make your fingers smell.

* it doesn't really bond, but the expanding alu oxide causes it to swell and sit very, very tight.

davidphilips

Veteran
What worked one time with a carbon frame i had with a stuck seat post was just to fit a different saddle to get the fit near enough, then lossen the clamp holding the post and just use the bike after a few cycles the post moved.
Just hope the post is also carbon as a stuck alloy post in a carbon frame can be very hard to remove.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
A big oops from me here , I’ve just tested the seat post and that is also carbon fibre , so hope full will be an easier fix , I should have worked that one out before posting !

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
It is definitely a separate post, not one of those integrated ones sawn down to the chosen height...? :whistle:

Yeah , I did look at it ,good point though!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Can't you rig something up with a car jack and some well-padded bits of wood? I wouldn't worry too much about over-stressing the frame if I was pushing against the top tube or the chainstays very close to the seat tube.

I’ve had a few seat posts wedge themselves into Carbon frames. I’ve found the most effective way to get them moving is to clamp the seat in a vice, then gently start to use the frame as the lever. Don’t yank at the frame, just smoothly increase the torque until it moves. I’ve only ever had one frame actually fail, but to be fair, that frame had been crashed, so it was probably a blessing in disguise.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Sorted it , lashed the saddle to a ceiling hook with the back wheel about 2” above the floor, next sat on crossbar and gently bumped my 83 kg up and down ....... success. !
Thanks for replies ,
Nice one.

Unless you are at a level where a couple of seconds mean the difference between winning and losing aero seatposts are a nonsense.

Top Bottom