Seat post ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Any ideas about this....Son has a new mountain bike with this seat post ?
IMG_20220502_113013591_MP.jpg

IMG_20220502_112956505_MP.jpg

si_c

Guru
Looks like a fairly typical suspension seatpost. They're generally pretty terrible and are a dead weight, I'd replace with a standard seatpost unless he's particularly attached to it.

AndyRM

XOXO
Looks like a fairly typical suspension seatpost. They're generally pretty terrible and are a dead weight, I'd replace with a standard seatpost unless he's particularly attached to it.

+1

There was one on an old mountain bike I picked up for my ex-wife. The ride home was very, very weird and it was the first thing I replaced.

si_c

Guru
I think of them as a (poor) halfway house between a normal post and a dropper.

Not even that, they're supposed to provide some smoothing of rough surfaces, which on an MTB should either be done by appropriate tyres or a proper suspension system. It's a marketing answer to a problem that only exists in the perception of people who don't actually ride bikes.

On a trail it's useless as it won't smooth anything out, you need to ride to the surface and on the road it won't do anything either. They typically have about 15mm of "suspension" which is untunable and the majority of which is taken up when you sit on it.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Next question decent seatpost anyone ? Link to one maybe,only son so as little cost as possible 😁

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Cheers Andy just need to work out the size .

Top Bottom