Seatpost Adjustments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Are those the ones with the 2 thin allen bolts, I had a look in at halfrauds yesterday but I couldnt see how it worked as it was in a packet.

Do you loosen one and tighten the other to adjust the tilt and if thats the case can you do that without it letting the saddle slide also how strong are the 2 thin allen bolts compared with the big thick one on a standard seat post.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
phil_hg_uk said:
Are those the ones with the 2 thin allen bolts, I had a look in at halfrauds yesterday but I couldnt see how it worked as it was in a packet.

Do you loosen one and tighten the other to adjust the tilt and if thats the case can you do that without it letting the saddle slide also how strong are the 2 thin allen bolts compared with the big thick one on a standard seat post.

Yep, that's the ones, seem plenty strong enough and yes tilt can be done without saddle sliding. Loosen one and tighten other, done in small amounts and the saddle's never loose enough to slide.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Just noticed the weigh in section in your sig line MacB - 252lbs, quite a big ol' boy so to speak!!. Was this a new years resolution thing then looking at the date?
I see you've already come down quite a bit, well done you - I got rid of just over 3 stone when I started to take my cycling and swimming a bit more seriously - works wonders eh?!!

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
threebikesmcginty said:
Just noticed the weigh in section in your sig line MacB - 252lbs, quite a big ol' boy so to speak!!. Was this a new years resolution thing then looking at the date?
I see you've already come down quite a bit, well done you - I got rid of just over 3 stone when I started to take my cycling and swimming a bit more seriously - works wonders eh?!!

Yep, figured I'd make a real effort this year, getting bitten by the cycling bug helped as well:biggrin: As of today I've cycled 1540.96 miles this year and only did 33 miles in Feb due to weather and ill health.

big ol' boy, is very polite, I'd become a total fat bar steward couch potato. Best bit is how much more energy I have in general. Well done on your loss, hope to reach that level by end of June.

peanut

there is little point in setting most modern saddles level because the padding is all over the place. A lot of saddles have most of the padding on the nose area.Some saddles have a steep rise at the back etc
I would set it as level as you can by eye then ride it and adjust it whilst you are out on a ride . You'll notice the effect of the changes then .

monnet

Guru
MacBludgeon said:
just the bog standard cheapo, 400mm, microadjustable, inline, ones from Halfords, labelled bikehut I believe. They would appear to be of similar standard to the setback ones I had. When I've got this all sorted, and have lost enough weight, I may look at a carbon one for the weekend bike.

I wouldn't worry too much about a carbon seatpost. Admittedly I have them on all my bikes (but that's what they came with). However, When you consider it, carbon is not ideal seat post material - ie: you have to be careful with how much you tighten the seat clamp. If you over tighten alloy or steel it bends - not necessarily a structural positive but better than the carbon alternative of cracking and splintering. Besides the great carbon selling point is weight and the weight of an aluminium seatpost isn't that much different to a carbon one.

Great work on the weight loss by the way.

Top Bottom