seatpost measurement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biker Joe

Über Member
I use vernier callipers.
Your LBS will also measure it for you.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I shall share my ingenious method I used this week, if only for amusement...

Rather than try to measure the diameter to within 0.2mm without the proper callipers, especially given the tapered end to the post, I opted to measure the circumference. As circumference is Pi*diameter each 0.2mm step is a 0.62mm step in circumference which is much easier to measure to the nearest likely value. Wrapping the post in a piece of paper (as an actual tape measure would be too thick) and then measuring that a few times until I had a fairly confident figure seems to work fine. It only gets sillier as when I held the old seatpost next to the new under the bright kitchen halogens, I noticed it actually had the diameter measurement stamped on it, which I hadn't been able to find when I looked in the garage, but at least it was correct :whistle:

Check for a stamp on the post if you haven't already and maybe check if the bikes still listed on the web. :smile:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Unfortunately seat posts sizes vary by fractions of a milimetre, so near-enough isn't good enough in this case. Even calipers is a bit of a struggle (and I can read a vernier), so micrometer is better.

I suppose some kind of go / no-go arrangement might work if you can lock it to the size, then compare against the "new" one.

Or take the old one to the shop and say "same size please"

sidevalve

Über Member
Agree about the caliper / micrometer idea but calipers are more commonly available and electronic ones which work in both imperial and metric are available for £10 or so. These are much easier to read and are certainly accurate to within 0.2 of a mill.

02GF74

Über Member
I was going to suggest the paper method too. It should be possible to measure to within 0.5 mm with a steel rule - use a blade to make the marks as a biro or pencil will lead to error due to the thickness of the mark.

0.5 mm in cricumference translates to 0.5/pi mm or 0.16 mm in diameter - less than the seat post increment of 0.2 mm so is accurate enough, beaing in mind that not all 0.2 mm increments exist - just find the nearest size.

quite often the post is stamped with the diameter or look up the frame on google or sheldon brown's list or give frame details on here.

Top Bottom