Seatpost Question re: saddle angle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I disliked the Selle Royal Viper that came with my Giant SCR2.0, so I splashed out on a Fiz:ik Arione (Merlin Cycles were doing them for £50).

The saddle is great, but I cannot get it to stay at the angle I want at all.

I start most rides with the saddle angled slightly downwards, and invariably finish with varying degrees of nose up angle.

The Fiz:ik is somewhat longer at the back than the Selle, and I think my perching on the rear of it on hills provides sufficient leverage to bring the nose up.

Is this just a case of needing to tighten the saddle clamp up more, or is this always likely to be a problem with a single bolt type seatpost/clamp and a long saddle?

Is it the seat post that's moving? Have you marked it to check. Mine's single bolt and it doesn't move but I recall the Fizik saddle is made differently, so perhaps it's the saddle settling into a shape???

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The clamp is moving on the post, so far as I'm able to tell.

The clamp itself marks the finish of the post slightly, so I can tell it's shifting (rather than the saddle deforming). I see an area of silver to the rear of the clamp (where it's rubbed off the coating on the post) once I've set the saddle to my favoured position, and a similar area in front of the clamp once the saddle's moved...

domtyler

Über Member
Try tightening it further but this should not be happening with any kind of half decent seat post.

walker

its the bolt thats loose, make sure it's tight, then make sure its tighter.
A saddle with a nose pointing down is good for high speed but you will find it a little uncomfortable on longer rides. Unless your a woman

simonali

Guru
Check you've not knackered the little serrations on the clamp now, too. If so, it's a new post anyhow!

Yep! Sounds like a new seat post then.

And it wasn't the Fizik saddle I was thinking of but another. Darned if I can remember the name though ;)

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Thanks all.

Got the longest allen key of the right size I could find, and tightened it tight, then tighter - so far, the saddle has stayed in the position I want (after this morning's ride in).

Dave - I liked a slight downwards angle on my last bike more than I liked a level saddle, I found. The plan is to ride it like this for a week or so and see what I think, I guess my opinion may change when I start putting in longer rides than the commuting I'm currently doing (14 miles each way).

Crackle - are you thinking of the Rido?

John the Monkey said:
Crackle - are you thinking of the Rido?

Thanks JTM, I was. Don't quite know how I got them mixed up. Thanks for the link too becasue I wanted to take another look at them as I'm having some trouble with my Brooks :biggrin:

Glad the seatpost has tightened up. Saddle angle is always very personal. I was thinking of changing my seatpost as one spline adjustment isn't fine enough for me :tongue: I was thinking of an infinetly variable one.

NickM

Veteran
Crackle said:
...Saddle angle is always very personal. I was thinking of changing my seatpost as one spline adjustment isn't fine enough for me :tongue: I was thinking of an infinetly variable one.
That's where two-bolt designs score; and they tend to be more secure, as well. The Thomson seatpins are very good if you can use one with minimal layback (I don't like the "bent" more-layback version, it just looks, er, bent).

andygates

No need for a new post if the serrations are knackered, just shim it with a bit of coke can. The metal is very soft and it'll bite a treat.

If your bolt is undoing, get some blue threadlock on it. Cheap as chips from any hardware shop and lasts ages.

Top Bottom