Seatstay rear lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Get a small P-clip in whatever diameter your seatstay is and use it in place of the part of the bracket which fits around the seatpost.

+1 for a rack mounted light, much prefered and puts it right where it cannot be obscured by stuff on the racks, long coats etc. My topeak wedge has a loop for clip on lights, if your saddle bag doesn't have one, you could likely sew a simple loop on there.

5669_320792_1.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
+1 for a rack mounted light, much prefered and puts it right where it cannot be obscured by stuff on the racks, long coats etc. My topeak wedge has a loop for clip on lights, if your saddle bag doesn't have one, you could likely sew a simple loop on there.

View attachment 401702
Great image, showing that the light on a saddle wedge points at the ground far too much.

Also, technically, does it count as a legal light if it's fixed to a bag not the bike? Ones on the rider don't.

mangid

Guru
I carry a flare as a get out of jail backup (used it once in 6 years I think). Put some grease/vasoline in around the silicone battery cover if you do get one as it's not that watertight.

Sixmile

Veteran
Another vote for the fibre flare. I use one during the winter months as a second light on my right seatstay. I've been through 2 winters with it so far without issue. I'll get maybe 3 return commutes before I'll top up the charge again.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I carry a flare as a get out of jail backup (used it once in 6 years I think). Put some grease/vasoline in around the silicone battery cover if you do get one as it's not that watertight.

I found this out when I first bought them a few years back. Only a couple of rides in and water ingress killed one of them.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I found this out when I first bought them a few years back. Only a couple of rides in and water ingress killed one of them.
Same here, I did buy one some years ago after reading about them on the bargain thread, the light was dead after the first downpour :cursing:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Another vote for the fibre flare. I use one during the winter months as a second light on my right seatstay. I've been through 2 winters with it so far without issue. I'll get maybe 3 return commutes before I'll top up the charge again.

Yep put one one on each seatstay. Nice diffused light that does not blind a following cyclist like many direct lights do. Get the AAA version and it will last winter of commutes before batteries need charging or replacing.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Great light until it gets old, then it can't hold a charge. I replaced mine after the 2nd winter of regular use when if you forgot to charge it immediately pre ride (not the day before) it'd power off without warning and given its a rear light its hard to notice that :wacko:
mine gets a daily charge at work, it doesn't last as long as its older lezyne micro sibling…

Mr. Cow

Über Member
It seems fibre flare light are no longer available - it looks as though the company may no longer be trading (although I could be wrong). Could do with a new one as I have to keep removing corrosion from the contacts, hopefully will last a bit longer now I've waterproof/greased the lower rubber cap. Anyone know of a similar thing to a fibre flare... which isn't a fibre flare? :smile:

Top Bottom