Seatstay Repair - do I need to remove handlebars and forks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Seatstay snapped recently. Can get it removed - reasonably locally - but when I phoned they said remove everything - chainset, derailleurs, forks etc. Have done most of it, but stopped at forks, headset, bars etc, coz I reasoned as they are at the other end of the bike they shouldn't get in the way. Anybody else had experience of this? Also, if I do go all the way and take everything off, will it make more sense to cut the cables by the levers, or leave them all in - Bike is internally routed so wondered what was least work-intensive way when it comes to reconstructing? Photo attached just for clarity. IMG_20211120_125403.jpg

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
When I say removed, I meant repaired. 😂

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
I'd remove as the repairer may want to upturn frame in a jug, so bars and forks will get in the way
OK. Thank you for your reply. So what would you suggest for the cables? Cut off at the levers so I can leave cables threaded through internal routings or just rip them out altogether? The bloke did say I can leave the cables in but I don't know if when I take it to the shop afterwards for re-cabling whether they'll want the cables still fitted so it's easier for them to rethread or not?

C R

Guru
OK. Thank you for your reply. So what would you suggest for the cables? Cut off at the levers so I can leave cables threaded through internal routings or just rip them out altogether? The bloke did say I can leave the cables in but I don't know if when I take it to the shop afterwards for re-cabling whether they'll want the cables still fitted so it's easier for them to rethread or not?
If in doubt ask them those questions, we can only guess.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Why cut them off, just unhook the nipples

Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
Go on then: tell us how your seatstay snapped.
Could it just not cope with @blazed amounts of power?

Top Bottom