Second Career

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
By 'reinvented' do you mean 'changed identity to stay one step ahead of the law'?

pawl

Legendary Member
Changed.my career aged 39

Three years training as a psychiatric nurse.My interests lay with care of the elderly a somewhat neglected area in psychiatric hospitals at the time.Moved into care of the elderly in residential homes.

Studied for my social service degree and worked on a large general hospital in care for older people supporting patients and family members in ensuring their care packages meet there needs

Unfortunately as beds became scarce the hospital became concerned about bed blocking due to the lack of support services and residential care services.Hospitals turned towards the private sector to provide those services and no longer required qualified Social Workers and the CC moved us into are offices.

I discussed this with the consultant who I worked for.he was annoyed as we had a good working relationship and with the multi disciplinary team

I took early retirement as the work ensuring safe and appropriate discharge was not hospital centred in the area offices.

I will never regret my change in career and look back with satisfaction that working in a multi disciplinary team and as a group what we achieved in ensuring appropriate discharge for patients and support for the relatives who also were often in there advanced yers

tom73

Guru
He will probably end up being an ambassador for the open university. Wonder how long it'll take to complete and whether it is undergrad or a conversion.

The same as any other 3 years full time or up to 8 part time. He will need a placement sorting 1st and met the requirements of HCPC. Its undergrad or MA if he hold the right degree to get on the course. It's quite a respected degree I've worked with 2 who become social workers via it.

As for OU ambassador role every OU alumni is more than happy to act as one.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The same as any other 3 years full time or up to 8 part time. He will need a placement sorting 1st and met the requirements of HCPC. Its undergrad or MA if he hold the right degree to get on the course. It's quite a respected degree I've worked with 2 who become social workers via it.

People don't generally do OU in 3 years. Its's pretty rare. Don't know who's been telling you otherwise. I'm obviously saying I wonder how long it'll take for Wiggins to complete. Many complete in 4.5, 5 or 6 years. The MA is the bit I don't know.

As for OU ambassador role every OU alumni is more than happy to act as one.

???

tom73

Guru
Depends which degree many do take longer true enough. But the ones which lead to professional registration and need a workplace sponsor you mostly agree and sign up to do it in 3.

Social work is one as are nursing (which is also highly regarded) and paramedical science. More are coming as the OU takes on awarding body role for many degree apprenticeships and running it's own. They are for example only one of two providers of the nursing apprenticeship.
As for Wiggins who knows but that degree has a formal cut off at 6.

We don't need ambassadors every alumni is one it never leaves you and that inc me. Currently i'm one of the post grad members on a OU working group looking at new courses and teaching materials

Drago

Legendary Member
Well done. Took me 9 years of stop-start to do my undergrad and then masters, but in my defence I got divorced and worked abroad for a spell too. Back then - I don't know abou now - points accrued were only valid for 10 years, so I finally pulled my finger out. Mrs D is in the final year of her undergrad, is doing ok.

tom73

Guru
We'll let you off then :smile: 7 for me and a few stop, starts mostly waiting for new modules to come out.
On a side note if you never formerly went to your graduation you are still able to go anytime if you and Mrs D fancy a joint one ;)

Slick

Guru
I stayed within my trade skillset but it's still a huge career change for me.
Worked in most sectors but eventually finished up in oil and gas before finally realising I had spent enough time as an industrial gypsy and started my own business which was very successful for a further 15 years. Took a lot out of both my wife and I so changed again to now work in an F.E college that finishes at midday on a Friday. :becool:

Top Bottom