Second day clipless...survived! Phew...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
manualtypist

manualtypist

Thanks guys. I've reduced the tension on the pedals right the way to the lowest setting and trying to play things safer...taking as many quieter roads as I can and not venturing out on any unplanned cycling after a tiring day at work!

BenM

Veteran
if it makes you feel any better I had a massive clipless moment on Saturday - in front of my teenage daughter! steep uphill approach to traffic lights; I had unclipped one side but for some reason was unbalanced and started to fall the other way... big tangled giggling heap on the floor! at least on the Orca there isn't so far to fall :sad: and this after 3 months of clipless riding.

B.

peteoc

Fortunately I've only had one of those moments once and as BenM points out, taking your foot out of one side to only start going the other.

You'll soon get the hang of them though, I can fully engage my pedals without looking now, you'll get there soon! :biggrin:

As everyone has said, be as safe as possible and if it means going back to the old pedals while you get used to the new ones then it definetely worth not getting too many bumps on busy roads :smile:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Keep it up, you will get there and it does become 2nd nature. Like HaloJ I now struggle on my flat pedals on my mountain bike cos I keep expecting the pedal to follow my foot eg when setting it in position to set off from light.

If you really, really struggle try one clipless pedal and one flat for a bit while commuting. If you have the clipless pedal on your stronger side you'll also get the benefit of 360 deg pedalling on that side.

Good luck:bicycle:

Notsoblue

I've been riding clipless for about 5 years now, and the only clipless moments I had were within the first week of using them. You'll get used to them soon enough!

I'm so used to them in fact, that it feels strange and unstable to cycle with normal pedals :biggrin:

Jezston

Über Member
Bit of a newbie question here, but can I ask why such systems are called 'clipless'?

Is it because you don't require old-school toeclips?

Find the terminology a bit confusing - going from flat pedals that don't have toeclips to 'clipless' which you clip in to ... so what do I refer to 'clipless' pedals in relation to flats?

Willo

Jezston, I agree clipless is a little misleading given your feet are clipped to the pedals! As far as I'm aware it stems from not using toe clips, hence being termed clipless.

manualtypist, I sympathise as I found it very unnatural to ride clipless, contrary to many others who find it second nature. As I've rambled on about elsewhere on here, I eventually got it though. Do rehearse on a quiet road (I road up and down the cul-de-sac where I live) so it becomes natural. If you're not using them already, I found multi-direction SPD cleats much easier.

Sheepy1209

Veteran
I've been riding clipless for a year now, but last week managed to tear the cleat out of my cheapo Lidl shoe because I'd let the bolts get loose and couldn't unclip.

That meant an emergency diversion via Halfords (it was 6pm) to get a pair of basic flat pedals so that I could continue to commute while I sorted out some new shoes.

Fitted the pedals.
Set off to work.
Got to a junction.
Thought "Right, how do I get my feet off the pedals?"
Wobbled and came within a whisker of having my first 'clipless' moment. On flat pedals.

My new shoes should arrive this week and it's not a moment too soon. Whatever the theories around clipless, it just feels so much smoother and easier on my ankles.

Barbelier

I went clipless a few months back and love it!
Luckily for me it seemed to come very easily and there have been no clipless moments so far!

I set the tension as low as possible on the leg I normal set down on and found I was unclipping without even realising I had done it after only a few junctions.

Also the LBS who sold me the shoes & pedals suggested I sit on the bike in a doorway and practice clipping and unclipping whilst hold myself upright, until it becomes second nature. You look and feel pretty silly (and the kids thought it was hilarious) but it does work.

Only bad moment I've had with the clips was on Saturday when I couldn't clip one shoe back in only to discover I had stood in a massive dog turd and had squashed it into the pedals, cleats and shoe. I really enjoyed cleaning all that out! :biggrin:

JNR

I've set my right pedal, which I clip out of first, to the lowest setting. I clip out if I'm even unsure as to whether I might have to, just in case. Clipping back in isn't a problem. Also, if possible, change down to lower gears to it's easier to get the crank turning and then my right pedal goes 'right way up' faster and with less strain on me left leg.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Its fine having them on the lowest tension setting. As bits get worn, they are easier to release, and you need to wind the tension up. Best way to spot this is if you feet come out accidentally when trying to crest a brow without changing down, or other similar effort to use leg strength rather than the correct gear.

Yes, you get used to them quickly. Very much second nature for me now. Now I find that when I pedal with normal shoes on (OK, Astro football boots) my feet often come off the pedals on the upstroke - woops, no clip-in!!

Top Bottom