Second hand bike pricing....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Sounds sensible to me! "Mountain biking" covers a pretty broad church (and in the UK rarely involves any mountains!) and I suspect the majority of riders are over-biked in the sense of having more travel, fatter tyres etc than they "need" for 95% of the riding they do. I'd put myself in that category and that's on a 20 year old full sus.

I don't think this matters a bit though - to my mind MTBs aren't supposed to be sensible, they're big kids toys and as long as you're having fun on one that's all that matters. Obviously depends where and how you ride, but all that inefficient, expensive, maintenance hungry modern tech can be an absolute boat load of fun to throw down the side of a big hill ^_^

Back on topic, I always find knobby tyres & suspension easier to sell quickly than rigid forks or more road biased tyres. There definitely seems to be a general feel that these bikes make good general purpose town bikes, which like you I don't necessarily agree with.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I always find knobby tyres & suspension easier to sell quickly than rigid forks or more road biased tyres. There definitely seems to be a general feel that these bikes make good general purpose town bikes, which like you I don't necessarily agree with.

If I look at the kind of bikes left lying on their sides in town outside the local chicken shops whilst their owners order their takeaways, the majority are of the knobbly tyre and suspension variety, and usually low-end quality
but flashy. No doubt they look the part in the minds of the youths who hang around town on them, but I never see those riders using their bikes in the places I ride mine, and I suspect most cover an extremely low mileage that just involves home-shops-mate's house-home, all on tarmac surfaces!

Top Bottom