Second-Hand Buying Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenDover

Hi,

I'm going to look at a second-hand Giant Defy Advanced 2 shortly, which I believe to be a 2017 model and we have provisionally agreed on a price which we are both happy with.

As, I've never owned a carbon bike before my question is about buying advice i.e what I should look out for when inspecting the bike?

I'm aware of potential issues with damage to the carbon frame, but what else should I look out for that could be a concern.

I beleive the original wheels have been replaced with Mavic Cosmic ones.

Any advice would be vey much appreciated.

OP
OP
B

BenDover

This is the bike I'm going to look at. From the pics, it looks in great condition.

Attachments

• 273566313_4782487421837062_3511613643992497473_n.jpg
    273566313_4782487421837062_3511613643992497473_n.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 17

vickster

Legendary Member
Check the wheels are true, the tyres aren't excessively worn, that the brakes work, that the pedals and cranks are firmly attached (but that the pedals can be loosened so changed), that the bottom bracket doesn't creak, that there's no play in the headset, that the chain doesn't slip, that the cassette isn't over worn, and the chainrings aren't shark toothy, make sure the seatpost can be adjusted up and down with ease and other bolts aren't rusty and seized

Ask how it's been maintained and when it was last given a good check over/service (by shop or owner)

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
You can usually get a feel for crash damage if you have the opportunity to ride it. Does it ride well, do the bars turn cleanly and smoothly, is the ride silent? Plus check every inch of the frame and forks.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I’ve bought two second hand carbon bikes - I test road both but spent most time inspecting the frame visually and tapping it to listen for any unexpected resonance. Both have turned out to be solid bikes.

DRM

Guru
As others have said, check it’s the sellers to sell, everything works, wheels are true, bearing play at BB and headset, Check frame around seat tube for cracks, it’s not unheard of on bikes with a lot of seat post showing

OP
OP
B

BenDover

Thanks for you all your advice everyone, much appreciated.
I've bought the bike and on the whole it's been well cared for and in good condition.
The only thing I do have some slight concerns about which I've only just discovered is that when I've removed a cable tie, which was helping hold the rear mud guard in place (diy fix i assume), it looks like it's rubbed the paint off and you can see the carbon underneath at the bottom of the seat post near the pedles. It's a spot about 5mm diameter, however I can't see any fibres.

Should I be worried about this and have it checked out by a professional?

It's defiantely not impact damage just a slight rub by the cable tie over time.

OP
OP
B

BenDover

@ fraz101. Sorry, but can't reply to your message, which I assume is because im a newbie.
Once I can then I will certainly answer your questions 👍

Top Bottom