Second hand buying advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I'm going to view a second hand bike tonight (my first road bike! :laugh:) and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on buying second hand. The things I've thought of so far are:

1. Does the bike fit.
2. Is the frame cracked.
3. Does everything work.
4. Are wheels straight/any broken spokes.
5. Are the hubs/bearings ok (take wheel off and check for play).
6. Is BB ok (check for play).
7. Is the cassette worn.
8. Are chainrings worn.
9. Is there any play in the headset (could be a set-up issue?).

Any other advice would be appreciated. I'm leaving at 7.30 tonight but I imagine any replies could be useful for people buying second hand in the future.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Whether it'll help you at all (your list looks pretty comprehensive to me) I don't know, but it might help someone stumbling across this thread, my advice on buying second hand would be, don't just look at the bike, 'look at' the seller.

I buy off ebay (so I don't even get to look at the bike, much less check for play in the BB) but I do make a point of swapping a couple of emails with the seller, ostensibly to get answers to specific questions, but at least as much to get a feel for the person I'm dealing with. I generally assume that if they come across as nice and friendly and decent (and knowledgable), chances are, the bike will be sound. If they don't respond, or respond badly, I don't touch it with a bargepole.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I would also ask how long they have had it, oif new do they still have the receipt and why they are selling it. Again to get a feel for the person selling it so you try and avoid buying something that has been nicked.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Personally I'd have a ride of the bike to establish the wear of the chainrings,chain and cassette etc and get a general feel of the bike.

Also take a look at the frame from behind and in front to make sure everything is in line.

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
[quote name='swee'pea99']'look at' the seller.[/QUOTE]

I'm a big believer in this. So far the seller has seemed like a nice bloke. Emails and calls - he phoned me - another plus point instead of sending a text saying 'phone me back'.

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Cheers for the adv. I ended up getting the bike, the seller was a nice bloke, it was his father in laws bike who'd emigrated, he was honest and up front and really had no idea what he was selling I don't think!

Does anyone think there's room for a 'second hand buying advice' sticky?

Top Bottom