Second hand or new? - budget about £500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EYE-TYE-MAD

i wouldn't call a specialized Allez a load of rubbish and they can be had for £500

http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/detail/12Allez/Allez

and for an extra £50 you can have this

http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/Detail/12secteur/secteur/Secteur Triple
That's a matter of opinion. However, lets look logically at the facts, irrespective of choice of make, if you buy a new bike for £500, that's exactly what you get, a bike that's arguably worth £500, & no more. On the other hand, if you splash out £500 on a second hand machine, it's possible to pick up something that originally cost four or fives times that. Just check out the second hand price of a £500 Specialized Allez, is it £500? .. thought not, I rest my case!

ushills

Veteran
How would you recommend I spend my (approx) £500 - second hand from a forum/ebay/gumtree (I live in London), or a cheaper new one (something like a B-Twin TRIBAN 5 from Decathlon)?

Jon

Nowt wrong with the Triban-5 or even the Triban-3. Well specced and made bikes, better than Halfords.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
The Spec Allez is a good bike for the money, and has been for a few years now. If you can pick one up for less than the RRP then you are onto a good deal.

Nebulous

Guru
Buying used has the potential for getting a real bargain, but has increased risks. You can reduce those risks - if you are knowledgeable, careful to check the bike out, but you'll never entirely remove them. I have a 2010 spesh allez elite. It was £799 new, £699 end-of-season sales and I got it on ebay for £543. The seller claimed it had never been used, and I tend to believe him - the plastic wrapping hadn't even been taken off the bar tape. So I saved £150 and really like the bike, and it has worked for me. Yet it's beginning to show signs of wear and tear. There are stories about very good service from specialized where frames fail. That isn't open to me - as a second-hand owner. Used value is probably about £350 so a £200 drop for me in 16 months, but about £350 or 50% for the new owner.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
i managed to get an allez (2012 compact) for £450 through evans as they messed up the pricematched order i put in for the CB roubaix! i love it though, cant knock the ride or the quality

redcard

Veteran
it's possible to pick up something that originally cost four or fives times that. Just check out the second hand price of a £500 Specialized Allez, is it £500? .. thought not, I rest my case!

Buy a new bike and the frame falls apart the week after? Take it back and get a replacement.

Do the same with a bike off eBay? Fat chance.

There's a reason a £2K bike that's now 5 years old sells for £500. Because that's what it's now worth.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
It's tricky, there's an element of luck and judgement involved in buying second hand. I have found the forums to be a good source for secondhand. All the usual buyer beware stuff but the biggest problem is availability and timing. If you're looking at the classifieds at the right time you can get a great deal. If you need a bike on a timescale then I'd probably look new.

I'm less concerned about drivetrain, if it's cheap and wears quickly then you just need to replace sooner. I'd prioritise a frame worth keeping/upgrading, solid forks and strong wheels. All the other bits will wear out anyway but you can take time shopping for better quality replacement bargains.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Dont buy from halfords! theres a reason they are frowned upon. I would rather buy a second hand car from iraq! Most of the other advice people have said seems sound tho.
Bollocks.

EYE-TYE-MAD

Buy a new bike and the frame falls apart the week after? Take it back and get a replacement.

Do the same with a bike off eBay? Fat chance.

There's a reason a £2K bike that's now 5 years old sells for £500. Because that's what it's now worth.
That's a ringing endorsement of the quality of new bike you are getting for £500 if the frame falls apart after a week!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That's a ringing endorsement of the quality of new bike you are getting for £500 if the frame falls apart after a week!

Even top end bikes from respected brands can have manufacturing faults. The point being made was that if the fault develops during your ownership then the possibility of getting the problem sorted under warranty is not open to the second hand buyer.

EYE-TYE-MAD

Even top end bikes from respected brands can have manufacturing faults. The point being made was that if the fault develops during your ownership then the possibility of getting the problem sorted under warranty is not open to the second hand buyer.
Very true & I take your point, however, in practice it's not that easy sometimes. I have read some nightmare accounts where reputable brands have shirked their responsibility of replacement even in the most clear cut of cases; & if they have accepted a portion of liability it's taken an age, & in some cases threat of litigation to put things right. It may not be just the manufacturer you have to take on either, some dealers can be difficult too, when it comes to taking stuff back, particularly expensive stuff!

Top Bottom