Second hand Road Bike advice

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Craig-SR, 3 Aug 2012.

1. Craig-SR

Craig-SR Active Member

Seen locally a second hand Giant Defy 3.5 (2010) for £350 i went to look at it but there are a couple of things it needs (front chainring has a crack and some worn teeth are the biggest upgrade),

Do you think it is worth it? i am looking for a cheap entry road bike and thought this might be a good one to start.

2. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

wow £350 and it needs work , surely there must be better finds out there for that kind of money

are you looking for a bike to ride straight away or one that need work doing to it

3. There are only 3 completed listings on eBay, but they are HERE so you can check the listings for conditions etc, first one I quickly looked at claimed to have only done 15 miles!

Seems a bit steep to me at £350

4. OP
    OP
    Craig-SR

Craig-SR Active Member

Yes i £350 was a bit much as well but wasnt sure.

I havent had a road bike before but wouldnt be put off getting a cheap one and doing a little work on it.

Thanksfor the quick replys i will keep looking!

5. Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman Confused.com

I sold brand new Defy 4 for £375, I've seen the OCR (model before Defy) go for £200. Ash Cycles have the Defy models on offer brand new. TBH when you can buy a brand new Triban 3 for £300 I wouldn't consider any used entry level bike. A used Giant/Trek entry level bike with Sora/2300 STI kit usually goes for £200-250. I have bought 3 used bikes with Sora 8 speed STI from £130-£165 for use as winter bikes, a Raleigh, a Peugeot and a Carerra.

6. OP
    OP
    Craig-SR

Craig-SR Active Member

Im not in a rush so going to keep looking for a cheap second hand one. On the Giant Defy's its better to go for a triple rather than a compact version with me being a novice. is that right?

7. Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman Confused.com

If you work out the ratios you will get maybe 2 'easier' gears with a triple. If you're shopping 2nd hand you may not get a wide choice, with the hysteria around the Olympics and TDF road bikes are selling well. I like compact double on a road bike, I have a triple on my tourer which weighs 15kg unloaded. On a 10kg bike a compact double 34/50 with 12-25 or 12-27 cassette is fine unless you have lots of steep hills where your live.

8. Good advice from Alembicbassman above.

I've never felt the need for a triple TBH, but as said, if it's particularly hilly where you live you may prefer one.

Otherwise I'd stick to a compact, (34/50) chainset. You can always change the cassette if you felt the need. I run a standard double, (39/53), but I'll be doing the Cat & Fiddle Challenge again in October so I've bought an 11:28 cassette to take the sting out of the climbs. It's also cheaper than buying a new chainset :thumbsup:

9. defy-one

defy-one Guest

Not really. Having the granny ring may make you feel better, but I figure my lowest gear is more than enough to at least keep me moving.

10. Cubist

Cubist Still wavin' Moderator

..... In South Bucks. I may change my mind if I rode in the Pennines for more than half a day.

11. OP
    OP
    Craig-SR

Craig-SR Active Member

12. I can't be arsed reading all the guys advert due to the poor layout, so I don' know if the answer is in there already, if not, ask him if he still has the original bars and shifters.

If not I suspect THESE are the shifters you'll need, plus obviously some bars as well. You might pick the shifters up second hand, of not if can get quite pricey.

13. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

14. OP
    OP
    Craig-SR

Craig-SR Active Member

Will probably be costly to change back then. Thanks for the advise

15. Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture Internet Marketing bod

Unless he still has the parts he removed?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice