Second hand road bike advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulr23

Hi all,

complete newb here. Rode mtbs etc as a teenager. I don’t really have thousands to spend on a bike, my budget is around £300 willing to stretch a bit... I know I wouldn’t get anything decent for this price so looking second hand but I don’t want to get mugged off with the price as im not sure what’s good and what isn’t at the current times as prices seem quite extortionate at this time for second hand.

can anyone recommend a good decent bike? I’m 5ft 10 and about 72kg, I’m only looking to do it for a little fun and long journeys from time to time.

vickster

Legendary Member
Something like a Giant Defy, Specialized Allez or a Btwin Triban
Used prices are high and stocks low right now unfortunately as you've noted so check Facebooks market place, Gumtree, eBay locally.

size wise for you probably a medium or 54-56cm

if you find anything post link and lots of pics for folks to assess condition 👍

DSK

I was going to say, plenty of decent sounding Giant Defy's come up in roughly your price range. Great all round quality bike. Additionally a few other bikes that should appear in the same price range are Trek Alpha, Giant Contend, Specialized Allez as mentioned above, Merida, Felt, Cannondale Caad 8.

Feel free to post a link but as with any used bike, go and see it. You may need to put money in the sellers hand to take it for a test ride but, do so and that will show any areas needing working. Generally, check to see that the drive train sounds quiet and runs smoothly. Check the precision of the gear shifts. Apply the front brake, then rock the back back/forth to check for any creaks or knocking.

Generally speaking, at 5'10 I'd say 56cm frame rather than being at the top limit of a 54cm. For Giant road bikes, you will need a 'ML'.

vickster

Legendary Member
I was going to say, plenty of decent sounding Giant Defy's come up in roughly your price range. Great all round quality bike. Additionally a few other bikes that should appear in the same price range are Trek Alpha, Giant Contend, Specialized Allez as mentioned above, Merida, Felt, Cannondale Caad 8.

Feel free to post a link but as with any used bike, go and see it. You may need to put money in the sellers hand to take it for a test ride but, do so and that will show any areas needing working. Generally, check to see that the drive train sounds quiet and runs smoothly. Check the precision of the gear shifts. Apply the front brake, then rock the back back/forth to check for any creaks or knocking.

Generally speaking, at 5'10 I'd say 56cm frame rather than being at the top limit of a 54cm. For Giant road bikes, you will need a 'ML'.
I’m 5’10...my roadbikes are all 54s with 100mm stem 👍 56 is too stretched, I do have a 34” inside leg tho

Reactions: DSK
OP
OP
P

Paulr23

Hi all,

so I’ve seen this, just as an example as im not sure where abouts it is at the moment but seems ok?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254652275268

or this which is pretty local to me

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114285146950

DSK

I don't like the low component spec of the Specialized Allez.

I like the first upgraded Giant Defy. Usually ropey examples seem to be advertised at circa £250/£300 but, this chap will probably want about £500 for it. Its in St Albans so not too far from Essex. From your options, I'd try and get the first Giant Defy with the 105 5800 upgrade for as as close to your budget as possible. Its clearly not just been ridden but, maintained and upgraded when things wear etc. The Aluminium frame will also be durable and strong.

OP
OP
P

Paulr23

I don't like the low component spec of the Specialized Allez.

I like the first upgraded Giant Defy. Usually ropey examples seem to be advertised at circa £250/£300 but, this chap will probably want about £500 for it. Its in St Albans so not too far from Essex. From your options, I'd try and get the first Giant Defy with the 105 5800 upgrade for as as close to your budget as possible. Its clearly not just been ridden but, maintained and upgraded when things wear etc. The Aluminium frame will also be durable and strong.
So I’ve messaged the guy about it. He wants £350.. thing that puts me off is 29 feedback 0 positive, so seems dodgy?

vickster

Legendary Member
So I’ve messaged the guy about it. He wants £350.. thing that puts me off is 29 feedback 0 positive, so seems dodgy?
maybe but he does have older feedback so he may just rarely use eBay, ask him to email you the receipt or proof of ownership (or add a photo to listing) or give you the frame number so you can check stolenbike sites. If he refuses, run away

I’m seriously considering selling my 2008 Trek 1.7 upgraded to SRAM Rival, this was my first road bike and I’ve had it from new and I’d say hands down my most comfortable bike which could be down to the bike fit, anyway it’s a 56 frame and I’m 5’9 the stem is 110mm and I find it to be almost identical to my 54 Cervelo and CAAD12.

having used this bike for 12 years only the frame and forks are original but it’s well maintained with a slight dulling of the white paint and a few light chips because stupidly I didn’t use pipe lagging on my dlocks whilst commuting for 10 of those years, anyway if I do/can bring myself to sell I can’t let it go for less than £400.

mind you I’ve already settled on selling my Quinn Reynolds 531 steel frame and two sets of forks, again after years of service it’s now retired from my use and wow has that bike been everything in its time with me and is an amazingly comfortable frame.

OP
OP
P

Paulr23

I’m seriously considering selling my 2008 Trek 1.7 upgraded to SRAM Rival, this was my first road bike and I’ve had it from new and I’d say hands down my most comfortable bike which could be down to the bike fit, anyway it’s a 56 frame and I’m 5’9 the stem is 110mm and I find it to be almost identical to my 54 Cervelo and CAAD12.

having used this bike for 12 years only the frame and forks are original but it’s well maintained with a slight dulling of the white paint and a few light chips because stupidly I didn’t use pipe lagging on my dlocks whilst commuting for 10 of those years, anyway if I do/can bring myself to sell I can’t let it go for less than £400.

mind you I’ve already settled on selling my Quinn Reynolds 531 steel frame and two sets of forks, again after years of service it’s now retired from my use and wow has that bike been everything in its time with me and is an amazingly comfortable frame.
Are you local to Essex?

Don’t mean to be rude but is that price above average? As looked elsewhere and 1.7 2009 was listed for £200 on eBay. Obviously I’m a complete newb and have no idea, just as I said originally I really don’t want to be ripped off, especially in this current time

Are you local to Essex?

Don’t mean to be rude but is that price above average? As looked elsewhere and 1.7 2009 was listed for £200 on eBay. Obviously I’m a complete newb and have no idea, just as I said originally I really don’t want to be ripped off, especially in this current time

nope I’m in the West Country and whilst there might be the same original spec bike on ebay mines very much upgraded and something I really don’t want to sell if I’m honest, I have 11 bikes at the moment I’ve only every sold one a TT bike I used during recovery from surgery and one i donated to someone, if I billy bargain priced it I know it would sell so I’m realistically pricing it. Even right now I’m talking myself out of selling it :rolleyes:

the only reason I’m even considering is because I have to reduce the herd for space reasons as I’m shortly moving to a smaller house.

OP
OP
P

Paulr23

nope I’m in the West Country and whilst there might be the same original spec bike on ebay mines very much upgraded and something I really don’t want to sell if I’m honest, I have 11 bikes at the moment I’ve only every sold one a TT bike I used during recovery from surgery and one i donated to someone, if I billy bargain priced it I know it would sell so I’m realistically pricing it. Even right now I’m talking myself out of selling it :rolleyes:

the only reason I’m even considering is because I have to reduce the herd for space reasons as I’m shortly moving to a smaller house.

Fair play, a lot nicer rides where you live than where I live probably too, West Country is fields upon fields from experience.

generally speaking, is newer generally better when it comes to components? I’m not sure how much bikes have advanced over the past 10/15 years from what they are now

Top Bottom