Second Hand Value

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tharg2007

Veteran
firstly what the frame is made of and what condition it is in. Then the components and what condition they are in. Then compare to price for new.

Tharg2007

Veteran
give us the specs and maybe some pics, im sure there are plenty of people on here that will have some knowledge of the bike in question.

OP
OP
mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
It is a 2007 Trek 1000 with cyclocross tyres. 58 cm so should be OK for my 6' 2"

af9a_3.JPG

Frameset Sizes 58cm Frame Alpha SL Aluminum Fork Bontrager Approved, carbon Wheels Wheels Alloy hubs; Alex alloy rims w/eyelets Tires Bontrager Select, 700x25c Drivetrain Shifters Shimano Sora STI, 8 speed Front Derailleur Shimano 2203 Rear Derailleur Shimano Tiagra Crank Bontrager Sport 52/42/30 Cassette SRAM 850 12-26, 8 speed Pedals Alloy/nylon road w/clips and straps Components Saddle Bontrager Race Basic Lux Seat Post Bontrager Carbon Handlebars Bontrager Sport, 26.0mm Stem Bontrager Select, 17 degree Headset Aheadset Slimstak w/semi-cartridge bearings, sealed Brakeset Alloy dual pivot w/Shimano Sora STI levers

Te Bheag

One way, not necessarily the best, of valuing a secondhand bike is to take the original selling price, hlave it and then subtract £10 per year... So if the bike were a 2007 and originally sold for £500 it would work out about £230 now.

However... it is affected by componentry - has any been upgraded/downgraded? Has it been CX raced? This is hard on bikes. I shouldn't think it has, cos it looks like it's a roadbike with cx tyres for commuting (not running canti's, so little mud clearance)

Most important of all is - does it fit? - if not then £10 is too much, unless you feel you could sell on at a profit, or strip components for a correctly sized frame.

Fit - have a look at http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes. They have a fit calculator which is really helpful in gauging what to ask a seller size-wise or what to measure up when you see a bike.

And finally, just my opinion - 58 might be on the small size for you? depends on your inside leg measurement I guess. I'm 6'2" and ride a 60, but it's not an exact science (so feel free to ignore the above :o)

Have fun!

Alastair

Ivan Ardon

Did you want cross tyres, if not that'll set you back £40-£70 for decent road replacements. You'll probably want to change the pedals (more £, but you'll probably want to do that whatever bike you get). Transmission is a right old mix and match, some of it OK and some of it a little low rent, it'll all work well enough though.

It's got an integrated headset, so check that's in good order and keep an eye on it or the frame's scrap. Alloy fork is a bit "meh" compared to a carbon fibre one, which is what you'd expect on a £500 bike.

Evans were banging them out for £400 in the sales, so £250 looks a bit strong.

That said, it's a good starter bike so long as it fits you.

mr_cellophane said:
It is a 2007 Trek 1000 with cyclocross tyres. 58 cm so should be OK for my 6' 2"

Frameset Sizes 58cm Frame Alpha SL Aluminum Fork Bontrager Approved, carbon Wheels Wheels Alloy hubs; Alex alloy rims w/eyelets Tires Bontrager Select, 700x25c Drivetrain Shifters Shimano Sora STI, 8 speed Front Derailleur Shimano 2203 Rear Derailleur Shimano Tiagra Crank Bontrager Sport 52/42/30 Cassette SRAM 850 12-26, 8 speed Pedals Alloy/nylon road w/clips and straps Components Saddle Bontrager Race Basic Lux Seat Post Bontrager Carbon Handlebars Bontrager Sport, 26.0mm Stem Bontrager Select, 17 degree Headset Aheadset Slimstak w/semi-cartridge bearings, sealed Brakeset Alloy dual pivot w/Shimano Sora STI levers

Where'd you get that spec from, for that bike ?

Sounds like the standard spec, lifted from a website.

You say it has cyclocross tyres rather than 'Tires Bontrager Select, 700x25' for a start, and they don't look like 'Pedals Alloy/nylon road w/clips and straps'

So what spec does this bike have, rather than the spec it had in 2007 ?

(I'm 6ft and ride a 58 and a 56, so 58 might fit you, but you might have long arms/short legs, etc so couldn't say for sure...)

oh yeah, and at least it's a decent colour - I'm not in the slightest a Lance fan, but that Disco-stickered and coloured model looks good, the year-before's models were a hideous metallic orange or battleship grey...
To me those colours would have knocked £50 off the value...

gbb

Legendary Member
£409 ?, the seller did well :rolleyes:

As an example, i sold my 3 year old Bianchi Via Nirone 9 speed privately for £250. Brought it for £500, mechanics were fairly good nick, although the rims were showing some wear. It did have a brand new frame (the original had cracked)

£250 ?...i'm sure with hinsight i could have got more on ebay, but the sale was quick, painess and local. No aggro, no fuss.

Top Bottom