Secret Santa

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anybody here get involved in buying cheap bubblebath from the pound shop and novelty desk accessories for their fellow work colleagues?

ours is about to start by the reception xmas tree, luckily i had the usual foresight NOT to put my name in the hat....

JamesAC

I can't stand the bloody things, really: all this enforced jollity. I was blugeoned into doing it this year, in a dept of 25 people, 20 of whom I don't know. I even had to look up my lucky recipient on the intranet to see what gender they were!

There was cheap rose wine, things on sticks and the HOD in a Santa Hat.

Actually, I got quite a decent bottle of red wine, so I'm not grumbling too much. But I might suggest next year that we all put the dosh into a donation to the childrens charity that our organization supports.

I did put my foot down over the Christmas Lunch thing. FGIFriday's at Lakeside isn't my idea of a good time at all!!!

It's where 'working from home' can come in really useful...
I've never worked anywhere that has done secret santa, but my other half has. Actually his colleagues were very thoughtful, and bought him lots of cycling related things (inner tubes, a multitool etc). I guess it's easy if the person you're buying for has some kind of interest (read: personality).

Arch

Married to Night Train
JamesAC said:
There was cheap rose wine, things on sticks and the HOD in a Santa Hat.

Oh, now, I hate the forced casual tackiness and the unwanted tacky gifts and all that, but I'm a sucker for things on sticks. If I ever get married, no matter how large or small the reception, there will be cheese and pineapple and little sausages on sticks, stuck into halves of white cabbages covered in foil.

(It's an interesting memory for me, that childhood birthday parties were always followed by days of meals accompanied by coleslaw)

ChrisKH

Guru
We don't have this at work but I do buy my staff a little something (this year I got the ladies a Sanctuary travel set each and the one bloke got a bottle of champagne).

One of the bosses came round and gave all of my staff a bottle of wine or champagne for helping him during the year. Which was nice. You can guess what he gave me.

NickM

Veteran
ChrisKH said:
...You can guess what he gave me.
A severe talking to?

They've installed new photocopiers here today (don't know why, the old ones were the best we've ever had; probably a compulsive need to bugger things up) and the man came into my office and asked if I wanted to be shown how to use it. FFS, as though I couldn't work out on my own how to use a photocopier... I declined politely. The gonks over the partition behind me jumped at the opportunity :angry:

OP
OP
T

trustysteed

NickM said:
and the man came into my office and asked if I wanted to be shown how to use it. FFS, as though I couldn't work out on my own how to use a photocopier... I declined politely.

i hear what you're saying but it just so happens that the girl who comes to do our training is the cutest little minx ever, so we all jump at the opportunity!

red_tom

There's a guy at my rowing club who's boss came round last week and told them that they've all got next week off as free holiday, seeing as they all did so well this year. :angry:

ChrisKH

Guru
My staff have to provide a service for very difficult, demanding people
(Patrick will confirm) so I do what I can to show support. Gratitude and thanks once a year is the least I can do. Being married to a HR professional has its advantages. :angry:

Having said that, I can't remember the last time I got the same (ie personal input) from one of my bosses. A small token or even 'thanks for all the hard work' would be nice.

I am fortunate in that I can look forward to an annual bonus in Jan if I have achieved anything. Or not as the case may be.

Tetedelacourse

Nick FYI my fat moron yesterday revealed her true ignorance again. Someone sent me a quiz so I asked her a few questions, knowing there could only be one outcome.
Q1: Who was the only Englishman to occupy the papal chair? FM thinks for a few seconds and replies, quizically, "Prince Charles".

Q2: Who succeeded Elizabeth I on the throne? FM doesn't need any thinking time for this one as she smugly knows it's.... Elizabeth II! Then in seeing my howl of amusement goes on to ask "Elizabeth I, that was the queen mum, no?"

NickM

Veteran
red_tom said:
There's a guy at my rowing club who's boss came round last week and told them that they've all got next week off as free holiday, seeing as they all did so well this year. :smile:
Huh! I've got all next week off, and I was crap :angry:

Well I ORGANISE Secret Santa at my work *ducks for cover*

My boss gives us bottles of wine also.

Mind you I have heard of 'a bonus' and 'a payrise above inflation' but can anyone tell me please, what these things are???

Top Bottom