Security measures against theft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gibbo9

Veteran
Hi All,
Apologies if this has been asked countless times, I have done a search but couldn't find anything comprehensive. It has dawned on me (rather belatedly) that I really need to do something to secure my bike against theft etc. I am looking into insurance but wondered if there were any schemes etc for marking or chipping your bike for added security. Maybe some of you have your own great ideas?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I am still waiting for someone to market the spring loaded spike in the seat tube. Perhaps Crowdsourcing is the answer. I'd always have the worry of being "hoist by my own petard" as it were.

Ganymede

Veteran
What searching have you done? Google is your friend..

http://content.met.police.uk/Article/Cycle-Security-Advice/1400005851380/1400005851380

http://www.bikeshepherd.org/bike-security.html

https://www.immobilise.com/tips-to-keep-your-bicycle-safe-and-secure.html

Just a random sample from putting "bike security" into a google search. Also use the search function on this forum to find threads about security, of which there are loads - if this is the search you mean you've tried, persevere with different keywords - seriously there is loads on here. Though if you put the word "chip" in and search thread titles you do get a lot of stuff about food. But you also get a thread about security chipping.

And... welcome to the forum!

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi All,
Apologies if this has been asked countless times, I have done a search but couldn't find anything comprehensive. It has dawned on me (rather belatedly) that I really need to do something to secure my bike against theft etc. I am looking into insurance but wondered if there were any schemes etc for marking or chipping your bike for added security. Maybe some of you have your own great ideas?

The police often do marking, contact your local nick

Insurance wise, adding to contents insurance with away from home cover is usually the most cost effective (but check the T&Cs)

Locks wise, Kryptonite Fahgettaboutit and Abus Granit X are the best regarded D locks generally, they are not cheap and nor are they light though!

You can also get special skewers to secure wheels, saddles, headsets etc

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Pitlock-Sec...aign=Adwords&gclid=CJ-WgaDMiMECFc7HtAodWnAA9A

Retribution03

I use 2 highly trained German shepards backed up by a squadron from the SAS ....halfords (and I presume elsewhere)sell an immobitag for £15 which you register online with the police and if they scan your bike it will come up as being yours ...but it goes down the seat tube so any thief that knows what they are doing could soon put something down it to break it.

I use 2 highly trained German shepards backed up by a squadron from the SAS ....halfords (and I presume elsewhere)sell an immobitag for £15 which you register online with the police and if they scan your bike it will come up as being yours ...but it goes down the seat tube so any thief that knows what they are doing could soon put something down it to break it.
Is that any better than registering it via frame number bikeregister.com? Police are only going to be scanning it if it ends up in their hands (not on the street in random checks), and then they could just as easily check the frame number.

Retribution03

Is that any better than registering it via frame number bikeregister.com? Police are only going to be scanning it if it ends up in their hands (not on the street in random checks), and then they could just as easily check the frame number.
Wouldn't know I don't use either was just giving the OP an option.

OP
OP
Gibbo9

Gibbo9

Veteran
Thanks folks. My bike is in the house overnight and when I'm out I never stop for water or coffee etc. I'm more concerned for when I travel to work (I work 2 week shifts away from home) and it's on the cycle carrier on the car. It is locked to the carrier but to be honest anyone with a penknife could cut the carrier away and off they go. Not ideal if I have to stop at services etc

S.Giles

I ride a bike that is well set up and works brilliantly for me, but also looks ordinary enough to be ignored by the kind of dodgy so-and-so that steals bicycles from public places. I can chain it up outside Tesco's without having to worry about it too much, and if it did get stolen, I'd just trawl Ebay for another one, and set it up to suit. I realise this philosophy won't help anyone who has a need to be impressive, but it works for me :-)

(Actually, having thought about it, I would be upset if it was stolen, but at least I wouldn't be out of pocket by too much).

Steve

KneesUp

Guru
I ride a bike that is well set up and works brilliantly for me, but also looks ordinary enough to be ignored by the kind of dodgy so-and-so that steals bicycles from public places. I can chain it up outside Tesco's without having to worry about it too much, and if it did get stolen, I'd just trawl Ebay for another one, and set it up to suit. I realise this philosophy won't help anyone who has a need to be impressive, but it works for me :-)

(Actually, having thought about it, I would be upset if it was stolen, but at least I wouldn't be out of pocket by too much).

Steve
This also works for me - my bikes are at the back of the house under a tarp, and the security is that they are all chained together so you'd need to cut the (big fat, designed for motorcycles) chain from Aldi or try and quietly remove five bikes at once - one of which only has one wheel.

It's not that secure I grant you, but then all five together cost me £113, and £60 of that was for the kid's bike (and she never rides it!)

I realise this philosophy won't help anyone who has a need to be impressive
I think that has more to do with where you live, or you've just been lucky. I keep seeing BSO around london where someone has clearly stolen a wheel and the owner has abandoned it. I've also pulled cycles out of a local river. They tend to be kind of cheap cycles, and it looks like someone takes it to get where they are going, and when they are done, throws it away.

Top Bottom