Security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrRidley

Got a message that my security on my PC is about to expire, currently McAfee, want £50 for renewal, is this a good deal ? don't know to much about this as the security was already on PC when i got it, any suggestions most welcome.

potsy

Rambler
I just got e-mail from them offering it at £35 if taken by 30th June,you might get the same.
You don't bank with Barclays by any chance?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I use AVG Free 9.0 and the freeware Spybot Search and Destroy (including Teatimer) and I have never had any security problem whatsoever. Occasionally I run the (also free) Glary Utilities to clean up the registries etc. to ensure the machines are as quick as the day I bought them.

They are all available from here.

I've never paid for antivirus or a firewall. At the moment I'm using Avira free (which was the best reviewed at the time I needed to install - although it does bug you every time you update to buy); and also Comodo. A regular sweep with spybot or ccleaner is also a good idea. See techsupportalert.com for freeware utilities.

Bayerd

Über Member
I took advantage of the free year with McAfee through my bank. It finished a few months ago, I've not renewed it and not noticed a difference. I run Spybot every now and then, seems to do the trick...

Jezston

Über Member
£50 a year is way too much for AV.

AVG Free is deliberately inneffective - get a virus (which you may already have and AVG hasn't detected it) and you'll quickly find out why they offer a free and a paid for version.

MS Security Essentials, free from Microsoft, is actually pretty decent. Especially compared to other 'free' AV apps, and it's much less invasive and bothersome.

I use Avira Premium Security suite (40 euros a year) which is AV and Firewall, Spyware etc although am thinking of ditching it when renewal comes up as the constant firewall popups in Windows 7 are really getting on my nerves, and there doesn't seem to be a way of calming it down without it freaking out about you having your security settings too low constantly.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Avast is good and free.

killiekosmos

Veteran
I got a renewal of 4 user licence for McAfee for £29. Yet on 1 PC which came with trial McAfee they wanted £50 to renew for 1 PC. They are desparate to sell as they had a lot of bad press over an update which screwed up XP PCs.

CorsairC

Über Member
Jezston said:
If you use the internet with caution, maybe.

Having worked in IT most of my life my experience is that users of the free AV's probably have less problems with Virus, and system problems than those who use paid AV solutions. In addition is usually the same people who have problems regardless of what they use.

Jezston

Über Member
Are those with paid AV generally the ones running a copy of Norton or McAffee that came 'free'* with their computer?

*free for first three months only, £59.99 per year after that, terms and conditions apply.

CorsairC

Über Member
In general I'm talking about corporate users with an enterprise license av installed. But occasionally I deal with home users with Norton/McAfee/AVG. I try to avoid them though. Free AV is (in my experience) as effective as the others.

The common factor with problems is that is always the same people.

Top Bottom