Seeking advice on £800-£900 quick bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Advice - if a fixed rack, get the LBS to fit even if it costs a few quid more than buying cheap online! You'll obviously need a disc brake one

This is definately part of my plan, partly to ensure durability and quality fitting and partly so I can get it all under the C2W package.

So I should forget about the Disc 5 and get a CX bike as they mostly have the braze on fittings and brake clearance would be taken into account.

Really? The guy in my LBS assured me the Trek Domane would take a full rack with no problems, and in another thread on here @F70100 has posted a pic of his Disc 5 with guards and panniers attached. I can see why you'd suggest a CX with the wider frame spacings being better suited to guards and panniers, and I really like the look of some CX bikes and wonder if the slightly wider tyres and riding position would suit my needs better, esp for commuting over winter. The problem is they seem a lot worse value than road bikes spec-wise for some reason - why is that? E.g £850 gets you a 105 set on the Disc 5 (admittedly last year's model) but then for the same price a Trek Crossrip CX bike means dropping right down to entry level Claris, and a Specialized Tricross 2014 model still only has Tiagra and alu forks and costs over £100 more than the Disc 5!

Have you looked at Whyte's disk braked road offerings?

No, but I shall now. Thanks

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran

This looks good value - http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/p...ike_W14DOR54?gclid=CLKw6e2B-8ECFYXJtAodQWgAng

Their range seems comparatively small though, and it looks like the current model of the Dorset drops from Tiagra down to Sora for some reason. Judging by their (rather poor) website I can't see any other models that would suit my needs without going over £1,000.

vickster

Legendary Member
They are new to roadbikes in the last couple of years. Their heritage is mountain bikes, hence the small range. Lots of companies downgrade components to hit a price point, look at the changes in Specialized Sirrus range over the last 5 years or so at each price level!

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

Good shout. We've got a Whyte Suffolk in the office at the moment. Lovely bike.

We also have one of these in the office. Weighs a flipping ton. Well, 13kg anyway.

Just to add to the confusion, have a look at the Canyon Inflite Al 6.0 as well. Comes with 105 for £900. Canyon always spec their bikes well for the price. Only problem is they're online only so no chance of test riding. And their sizing is odd, so maybe not the best choice of you don't know exactly what you need.

So I should forget about the Disc 5 and get a CX bike as they mostly have the braze on fittings and brake clearance would be taken into account.

First, plenty of proper "road" bikes have fittings for racks and mudguards. Like the aforementioned Domane and Suffolk, to name just two. Or the Kinesis Racelight to name another.

Second, depends what you mean by CX bike - a bike that's actually meant to be used for CX racing won't have braze-on fittings. A lot of so-called CX bikes are really drop-handlebar hybrids - what is increasingly being referred to as a "gravel road bike" (they tend to have less aggressive geometry than a true cross bike). The Genesis CdA comes in this category if you need another Genesis to add to the mix! (Also takes nice big tyres [42c], which are a far better option for comfort on a road bike than a suspension seatpost.)

Anyway, the pigeonholes are just marketing labels. Best look at the actual bikes and judge their individual qualities rather than restrict yourself to a "type" of bike.

Last edited:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I've seen a nice Saracen Tenet at Rutland Cycling for £399 - a bargain, lower end group set but very upgradeable & save a packet, list is about £750.

It's a road bike but will take mudguards etc & lovely in Black & Fluoro Yellow too, great frame shapes & will likely take upto 28c tyres.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Hi,

Just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone contributing to this thread for your help and guidance. I've finally been able to spend some time test riding a few bikes and the whole decision making process gets a lot easier once you get to grips with the actual machines rather than scrolling through endless spec lists which can just end up twisting one's melon after a while.

But being able to visit my local dealers armed with the knowledge gleaned from you guys has been invaluable, so thanks to all. Before starting this thread I was basically looking at a list of arbitrary numbers and jargon when perusing the specs.

I haven't made a final decision yet but having had the chance to test a few I'm pretty convinced that a CX is the way to go.
From looking online I worried that a CX would be too much of a compromise - a lighter MTB with drop-bars, effectively. But having tested some that's clearly not the case - ride position, weight, wheel size, gearing etc is all significantly different to my MTB and is going to enable me to ride pretty quickly I reckon, esp as I'm going to get some spare slicks to put on it in summer.

I liked the Synapse and the Domane, they were so quick! But a bit twitchy to get used to for someone who's never rode anything that light with drop bars before. Also liked a Felt road bike I had a sit on.
But I think ultimately I need that extra bit of toughness and durability that a CX offers over a racer. This is prob partly influenced by the fact that I had my first ever spoke break last week, and on a separate journey had a quite spectacular 'off' on a greasy tarmac corner (no major damage done, just some quite impressive bruises). But yeah, hammering away in all weathers every day on bad roads with weight on the back, plus wanting to have the option to attack some canal towpaths and railway lines in my leisure time, I think a CX suits my needs better than a roadbike and doesn't seem like too much of a compromise.

So yeah, I've pretty much narrowed it down to these 2:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/raleigh-maverick-elite-sora-2015/

http://www.evanscycles.com/products...gclid=CM3-osXopMICFfMZtAoddQEAlw&gclsrc=aw.ds

The Maverick seemed a bit quicker out of the blocks, and gave a great ride, but the CAADX felt really well put together and offered great top-speed and better grip on both tarmac and gravel. My head is telling me to get the CAADX. Though the steel frame ride and the retro look of the Raleigh is tugging at my heart-strings somewhat....but it's less well specced and those white handlebars are ridiculously impractical. Hmmmm.....

If I go CAADX should I settle for the Tiagra I tested or order in the 105 in the same size - is the 105 groupset worth the extra £100 in the long run? If so I could max out the C2W voucher on bike alone and pay for the rack and panniers separately to the Cycle scheme I guess?

I ruled out the Treks and Specializeds I looked at based on price/spec not seeming comparable, and just didn't really take to the look of the Giants.

Also, my employer finally got the Cyclescheme admin done this morning so now all I need is a quote and I should have my voucher within a few days :-) Feel more excited to be getting a new bike this Christmas that I did as an 8 year old anticipating unwrapping my red and yellow Raleigh Burner!

I'm going to Sheffield for a few days over Christmas so am going to postpone a final decision til after I've had chance to look at a few bike shops there, but I can't see much. Will let you know what I finally plump for in the new year.

Thanks again, Andy :-)

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Even more of a bargain if you consider it will actually be costing me £680 spread over 12months, if I decide to go for the Cannondale. What do you ride, @smutchin ?

My main ride is a Felt Z35, which I've had for getting on for seven years. Carbon frame, mix of 105, Ultegra and FSA components. That was about £1100, iirc, which was a pretty good bargain at the time (list price was £1300 but it was in the end of season sale) - I got it through bike to work and paid the difference myself. A similarly specced bike now would be about £1600-£1800, I think.

However, 105 now is probably at least as good as Ultegra was when I bought that bike, so you're probably getting better value for money. It's certainly a noticeable step up from Tiagra. I imagine others will be along in a minute to say Tiagra is just fine, which it is, but I maintain that it's worth the upgrade to 105 for a mere £100. And at that price, an alu Cannondale frame will probably be better quality than a sub-£1k carbon frame.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
And am intrigued by the pros and cons of the belt and hub gears, which seem pretty unique (maybe I just haven't seen enough manufacturers?) in a sports kind of bike -
http://www.cube.eu/uk/bikes/tour/hyde/cube-hyde-race-black-blue-shinyblack-2015/
There's a few makers still producing hub-geared road bikes (Foffa is one I remember) and I think they're well worth it for commuting, although I'm not sure hub gears are popular in this parish.

There is a trade-off in that fewer hub gears seems to mean easier maintenance in most cases but that means less gear range with even bigger steps between them (they're often wider than modern road derailleurs anyway). If you're not racing, I think the main drawback of that is that gaps will open up very easily if you do any group riding because you'll be shifting at very different times and you might miss a bit of the top end.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
I maintain that it's worth the upgrade to 105 for a mere £100

I've seen a few others saying the same thing. TBH, given that I've only ever ridden rubbish bikes as an adult, the Tiagra I tested was a massive improvement over anything I've been near before, but you've convinced me that I may as well get the very best I can afford and go for the 105.

We're not especially well served for CX options here in Hull, so I'm going to delay a final decision til after xmas as that will allow me to take in various Norco, Genesis, Pinnacle and Saracens in Sheffield. But they'll have to go some to beat the spec and feel of the Cannondale.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Top Bottom