Seems a lot for a car service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry I was thinking one thing and writing another.

I agree re the general mechanical service side of things but is that also the case with some additional things they offer?
With Mercedes they offer a 30 year corrosion warranty and a free breakdown/recovery and accident recovery.
With the recovery they get round it (I think) by making the cover valid for 12 months from the date of a service with the main dealer.
With corrosion the law only backs you (again I think but am not sure) for 6 years. After that it is down to the manufacturer to accept it or not.
Anti corrosion warranties are usually dependant on having checks done at certain intervals, and AFAIK the dealer would have to do this, I've no experience of the recovery aspect thoughTBH, but you could probably still save money by using an independent and joining a breakdown organistion.

To make fair comparison you have to know what is covered in service.
Would've thought brake fluid change about only thing could maybe justify changing or maybe an aircon clean. What else would a 2 yr old car need? Oil change maybe? Given todays longlife oils would depend if still had original from new or not

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
...update...

Seems I was quoted the wrong price, a big service is £218 which is more like it.

Had that done, so all is well.

Except it isn't because they lost the service book.

I suppose there are worse motoring calamities, and they are going to replace it.

KneesUp

Guru
I pay £150 for a full service on our MX5 each year, the same for my Jeep Cherokee which died recently. I bought a 1 owner, 85k, FSH, 2003 Focus as a runabout, it's mint. The last 3 annual services cost the ex-owner £600+ each in an Ilkley Ford dealership. I only paid £800 for the car. :ohmy:

That sounds a bargain - that's my kind of motoring. I bought a Seat for £700 that had had a £770 service 3 months previously, but it was older than your Focus - and it needed (a cheap) repair to the suspension and about an hour of me scrabbling about under the trim to get the rear wash/wipe to work - I can see why the owner got rid though; if you spend more than the car's value on servicing you expect it to work!

Current car is about £150 a year in servicing (indie) too - unless it needs parts, which it rarely does - although it's got an unscheduled visit next week for a weird noise. Last time it went in the weird noise was diagnosed as a loose captive nut. Diagnosis, repair and testing was £30. I expect a main dealer would have charged me a few hundred. I would have got a free coffee though. Swings and roundabouts :smile:

KneesUp

Guru
...update...

Seems I was quoted the wrong price, a big service is £218 which is more like it.

Had that done, so all is well.

Except it isn't because they lost the service book.

I suppose there are worse motoring calamities, and they are going to replace it.
Make sure it's the correct one, filled in correctly. My mum had a car once that had a service book with a 'printed' date 2 years after the first service, which didn't look great at trade-in time.

Top Bottom