Seized MTB forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
I have acquired a Specialized Expedition.
The front sus forks are seized but they appear to be totally sealed units. How do I get into them to free them?
The bike is not going to be used for proper off roading so I can always leave them frozed if its an impossible job.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
It seems Spesh have been making Expedition for over a decade with undoubtedly a number of incarnations, so it is impossible to know what forks you have. Nevertheless you could try dripping oil between the stanchion and the lower.

Given they were never expensive bikes and the forks are likely rusty inside, there is a chance that you might like it less when they are free - bouncing like a pogo stick and squealing at the same time can get annoying.

OP
OP
bonker

bonker

Guru
You are dead right. I took the top caps off last night and its rusted up. Clearly not quality kit. I've put the bike on a turbo trainer for my wife but thought she might venture outside. She hasn't even used it inddors yet so the New Year enthusiam may have worn off.
MTBs are a mystery to me.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Throw those forks in a skip and buy some nice lightweight eXotic carbon forks from Carbon Components. They will ride smoother than seized suspension forks and weigh a fraction of the weight.

Top Bottom