Seized quill stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Have you left the bolt in ? If so then tap it with a hammer to knock the wedge down. If you've done this and it's still not coming out, flip bike upside down and soak the steerer tube with penetrating oil and leave (for a day or more).

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
try pouring some coca cola around it as this frees of the rust sometimes

Zoiders

WD40, Plus-gas, GT85, people get all prissy about one being better than he other or one not being "proper penertrating oil"

The truth is they all work and all have a similar properties as found with the lighter distilates of oil, people just like to think they are being profesional by using something boutique or pricey, they aren't BTW.

Seized stem - give it a soak with a WD40 as you have done, don't listen to people telling you to buy something else.

Wind the bolt out and give it a tap to free the expander wedge, see of the soaking frees the stem when you give it a twist.

If this fails find something to plug the bottom of the steerer and fill the steerer with spirit through the expander wedge bolt hole on top of the stem, let it soak for a few days then try again.

Zoiders

WD40 was developed as an anti oxidant and water dispersant to be used in defence and aerospace applications.

You just think plusgas is some how so much more superior because you saw a plumber or a mechanic using it, they all work, I can name half a dozen brands of light oil and quite a few that offer much better value than plus gas.

Now get over it.

gwhite

Über Member
WD40 was developed as an anti oxidant and water dispersant to be used in defence and aerospace applications.

You just think plusgas is some how so much more superior because you saw a plumber or a mechanic using it, they all work, I can name half a dozen brands of light oil and quite a few that offer much better value than plus gas.

Now get over it.

I'm well aware of the qualities of WD40 thank you.

Your presumption is only exceeded by your arrogance.
I suspect that my experience on this subject may entitle me to an opinion. I spent six years working in a bicycle workshop refurbishing donated bikes and releasing frozen Quill stems was an everyday experience for me. I've used all the methods mentioned
above and would still question your statement that a good penetrating oil is the equivalent of WD40.
If you have some personal problem which would excuse your rudeness, tell us now and we will make allowances......probably.

In all seriousness.

Try using a good penetrating oil to loosen the hold the rust (or whatever) has on the quill - then loosen the allen bolt a little (only about 10mm of bolt movement) then use a rubber mallet (or wooden block and normal hammer) then smack the bolt downwards a bit until it frees the lower half of the quill mechanism...

Had to do this for my old ridgeback, thanks for the advise. It had been so long since I had bothered to adjust the thing it was stuck solid.

And for reference, I used wd40 and it worked a treat. Also saved me from buying a different stem so now I can spend that money on some new gear - winner all round!

:biggrin:

Zoiders

[quote name='swee'pea99' timestamp='1304013115' post='1648366']
I've tried wd-40, ammonia and plusgas on mine and I still can't shift the bugger. Next, Semtex.
[/quote]Thermite.

[quote name='swee'pea99' timestamp='1304013115' post='1648366']
I've tried wd-40, ammonia and plusgas on mine and I still can't shift the bugger. Next, Semtex.
[/quote]

I was able to leave mine for 4 days to soak through which may have helped too.

greenmark

Guru
<br />good suggestions so far - its the same as a stuck seatpost - there's been many a thread on here.<br />
<br />
See<br />
<br />
<a href='http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html' target='_blank' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.sheldonbr...-seatposts.html</a><br />
<br />
galvanic corrosion between Aluminium and steel - same happened on an old carlton I got several years back. A quick visit to the workshop a tug in a vice and hey presto. Been commuting on said bike ever since (about 80000km) use grease and you won't have that problem again.<br />
<br />
Good luck<br />
<br /><br /><br />
I guess from this link then that the titanium stem that's seized to my steel steerer is going to take more than just a little penetrating oil.

It's been stuck for at least 8 years. Any chemists around who can suggest what common household goods might break the bond?

Top Bottom