seized stem bolt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I doubt if you'd be able to get oil into it from above. I would tuen the bike upside down, remove wheel and mudguard and and fill the steering tube with diesel and allow to seep for a few days.

First though, if your allen-key is a good fit and of good quality, you could try shocking it free with a few sharp, hard hammer blows.

Zippy

Presuming that the crossbar, downtube and front tube in all bikes are open welded, I would angle the bike down towards the steering tube if pouring diesel down there to prevent the diesel from finding and thinning any bearings in the bottom bracket as the diesel will run away around the frame.

I found this out the hard way when pouring caustic soda down the downtube to remove an aluminium seat post from a steel frame - degreased my headset bearings!

Just make sure the crossbar runs down to the steering tube.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
got it free using tyred's method with the hammer. dislodged the wedge bit so ensued a palaver removing wheel, mudguard and bars to get it out (snapping a computer cable in the process :sad:). still, got the stem up a bit and greased all the bolts, plus the mudguard isn't rubbing now either so pretty much a result…

GrasB

Veteran
A few points
1) WD40 & GT85 are the wrong lubricants for this job, you need to use something more searching, diesel or plus gas would do a much better job in this situation

2) If the bolt is load bearing I'd recommend against using normal stainless & aluminium. I'd be looking to the harder stainless steel bolts (PITA to find & stupidly expensive) or Titanium (easier to find, lighter & cheaper*!)

3) As Dave5N said, coppaslip is the perfect sort of thing for this situation, use it.

* note this is a relative term.

Top Bottom