Selby to Scunthorpe - lovely

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A start and end point to dream of ...

Actually, part of a longer ride, but the tricky part, it seems.

Does anyone have suggestions for the least unpleasant road routes to cycle between those places? The area's liberally littered with major A roads, rivers with few bridges and several motorways and hence seems tricky to get through comfortably. I can see multiple ways of doing it but can't tell which of the roads are least busy; at least I can't be sure. My current putative route is attached as a gpx. Any comments or suggestions much appreciated.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• CC_subset.gpx
    31.4 KB · Views: 12
I can't see your gpx route and my suggestion adds around 20 miles to the journey, so possibly not ideal, but the quietest route is possibly along the back roads to the Humber Bridge, then pick up the Trans Pennine Trail to Selby.

Either that or rough it over the bridge at Gunness, and then along the back route toward Goole to pick up the TPT there.

HelenD123

Guru
The route suggested by cycle.travel looks eminently sensible. I didn't know there's a cycle path that means you can avoid the A18 stretch (it's straight and fast). There's also a cycle path over Keadby Bridge.

The route suggested by cycle.travel looks eminently sensible. I didn't know there's a cycle path that means you can avoid the A18 stretch (it's straight and fast). There's also a cycle path over Keadby Bridge.
Thank you. I was wondering about the A18. Looks moderately empty? I'm considering dropping down to the minor road just south of the M180, having looked at the bits of that cycle path which can be seen on Streetview. Good news on the Keadby Bridge. I didn't like the look of that much!

Head to Snaith and then Thorne, drop onto the lane south of M180 to Beltoft, then swing north to the bridge and onto Scunthorpe
Good - thanks. I infer that the A1041 through Snaith and the subsequent dog leg over the motorway and canal are not too bad, so I'll stick with that rather than try and work out ways to get to, and then across at, Goole (since the A161 looks like a relatively nice approach to Scunthorpe).

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Good - thanks. I infer that the A1041 through Snaith and the subsequent dog leg over the motorway and canal are not too bad, so I'll stick with that rather than try and work out ways to get to, and then across at, Goole (since the A161 looks like a relatively nice approach to Scunthorpe).

The A1041 is ok outside of rush hour. There are lanes you can use to the west with a little bit of gravel track that swing you onto the A1041 at Carlton. But as a direct fast route the A1041 is ok.

mattw

Über Member
Did this last week as part of a 3 day mini tour. I can try and get you a gpx if I can work out how !

edit... now added.... route was actually Sherburn to Louth but this was the Selby bit.. Done on 25mm tyres and full panniers.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• juld2b.gpx
    332.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
If you liked your route then a gpx would be appreciated. You can just add it to a post here with the 'attach files' link bottom left below the compose panel. Thanks!

And thanks to everyone who's given advice: much appreciated.

Top Bottom