Self adhesive patches.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Windward said:
(and I like the little orange flanges around the black vulcanised rubber on the patch and I like the way the repair box says "Touring", I am easily pleased!)

"See now that's what i'm talkin about!!!":biggrin:

Love the whole process of feeling as if I "fixed it" and not just "patched it". Those little orange flanges (there must be a technical name for them, something along the "flooglebinder" lines) are cool, they give a really smooth edge to the repair and fit into any contour (seam etc) like a second skin.

And at the end of the day, it saves time to fix them "properly".

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Big Tip Top fan here. Excellent. Spread glue, wait 5 -10 mins (get a brew), stick patch on - sorted.

Carry two spare tubes and patch either at home or in office.

Have used Leeches with MTB tubes - they work, but just don't take the pressure of a road tyre.

Might have a shufty at the Park ones - everything they make is good.

rh100

The time it takes messing around getting the tyre off and on again - you might as well do it properly with the glue and not take any chances. Not had a patch fail yet (fingers crossed) +1 to using a thin layer, then patch, then add a bit more glue to seal the edges, then chalk powder - a 1 minute job in a 20 minute operation. Never had to wait long for glue to dry - thats just using the halfords kit.

(OT - Is it just me that had trouble with the chalk - in the end I just put a 1.5 inch wood screw in the repair kit and used it as a mini file to get loads of powder off the block. Since then I've got some nice tyre leavers with a rough surface for that job, plus they have a pointy bit for letting the air down - bargain)

rh100

Goldfang said:
Not had any experience with stick on patches, but since I started using schwalbe marathon tyres I have never had a puncture! Am I just lucky? It took me years to learn how to mend a puncture properly, until an old school bike shop owner let me in on the secret. In his own words,"put the glue on, then go and have a dump, then a cup of tea and then come back and stick the patch on" I have to agree that the standard/quality of puncture repair kits varies hugely. I seem to recall a few years ago you could buy all the items seperately, big tubes of glue and shheets of patches?
Regards, Goldfang.

Tea maybe if you had a flask or nearby cafe - but you'd find the glue dry by that time. But the other part???? not in public please :ohmy:

wafflycat

Uncle Mort said:
Yes you are! I presume you mean Marathon Plus? I still get them with M+ ones, but very rarely.

No he's not. :ohmy: I use ordinary Schwalbe Marathons and I rarely get a visit from the p*nt*re fairy. The ordinary Schwalbe Marathons can pretty much handle all the potholes, flints, thorns, crud, stones etc. that country lanes throw at them in all weathers.

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
Getting back to patches......Can you repair a punctured tube with them and keep as a spare rolled up, or do you have to put the tube back in the tyre.
Not sure if that makes sense !!! I'm sure you'll say if it doesn't....

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You can put it where you like, mate. :ohmy:

Self adhesive ok to get you home, then take it off and do it properly. Glue works best and only takes at most 2 mins longer. If I'm on a club ride, stick a spare tube on then repair puncture at earliest convenient opportunity.
I buy my patches from here:
InMotionProducts.com (Mike Dyason) - cycling accessories and ...

If you are running 700x23 or even 25&28 try the 16mm patches, they fit the narrowest tubes making it less fiddely to seal the edges down that can be a struggle with the bigger patches, £6.25 for 100. Store them somewhere cool and they will last for years.

+1 for Bontrager Hardcase, £11.99 from All Terrain Cycles - £21.99 from Evans, says it all really. Bontrager are a bit skittish in the wet on corners but that's the trade off you will always have with harder compounds and Kevlar. Not had any punctures with them all last winter.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Why do folk like Marathons....... god damn heavy tyres....... like 2/3x the weight of a good tyre..... ? OK on a tourer....long distance stuff....etc.....

Going from a race tyre (aka Mitch Pro Race on the other 2 road bikes) to a Conti GP 4 Season (the all weather every day bike)....... minimal difference.....slightly harsher due to side wall stiffness, but they grip very well...are only 20g heavier.... wet grip is excellent......(city oily riding)

Been bullet proof for 5 months...... until some metal went through one this weekend, then a tube blew.... ah well, all in one day.........

Chamfus Flange

I've used them and found them to be perfectly good, but then I've also used some real strange stuff: cellotape, blister patched, plasters, anything that is sticky on one side.

Touche said:
A quick Google came up with this:

http://www.greentyre.co.uk/bike.html

Not that I would use them. Part of the suspension in pneumatic comes with the energy being take up in the rest of the wheel expanding, not just the bottom compressing.

Been using them on the back for about three months + now.Im trying to get through 2009 without a p*nct*r*.Got a spare one and may order some more.Already ordered some but they haven't come.:biggrin:

Ideal on a commute as I dont want to be faffing about with p's.

potsy

Rambler
jonny jeez said:
Mixed opinions myself.

I used to use these all the time in my MTB days (they were referred to as "Leeches" back then, not sure what the current definition is)

I have just replaced my new stock of "leeches" (for glue and patch) as the only two punctures I have had in the last 2 years (one since commuting) simply would not seal with them.

First was a sizeable hole that just inflated the leech and blew out again 20 seconds later (after re-fitting the rear wheel and moving on...GRRRR)

Second was in pouring rain on the Chelsea embankment about a month ago. It took me 30 minutes of fixing, inflating, and searching for a secondary puncture to realise that the "instant" repair was...well..."not"

Turns out, leeches are useless at fixing punctures on seams (as they cannot get a good seal where the two heights of surface meet) and as most tubes have a seam running on the outer circumference (right where the tyre hits the road), it is prone to punctures in that spot.

Glue patches sealed the "seam" puncture in about 30 seconds. I've now gone "old skool" and chucked out all my leeches.
Still called leaches apparently http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_207893_langId_-1_categoryId_228377

numbnuts said:
self adhesive patches + one here too, better than sliced bread
I only use "Park" ones

Me too, I like 'em.

I spent enough time cutting my own patches and feathering the edges just so to figure that I have paid my dues.

However, they come off again after about 4 years, and slow punctures can be the result, so be warned...

Top Bottom