Self adhesive patches.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Windward

I don't have any urge to stop using the old school glue and sandpaper ones, so I haven't tried the self adhesive leeches (that's a cool name for them though, makes me want to try them more :tongue:)... I spend so long getting the tyre on and off anyway, that I kinda enjoy the Zen like moment in the middle of the process, sanding rubber and waiting for glue to dry... I'd miss that

(and I like the little orange flanges around the black vulcanised rubber on the patch and I like the way the repair box says "Touring", I am easily pleased!)

simongrant

Windward said:
I don't have any urge to stop using the old school glue and sandpaper ones, so I haven't tried the self adhesive leeches (that's a cool name for them though, makes me want to try them more :tongue:)... I spend so long getting the tyre on and off anyway, that I kinda enjoy the Zen like moment in the middle of the process, sanding rubber and waiting for glue to dry... I'd miss that

(and I like the little orange flanges around the black vulcanised rubber on the patch and I like the way the repair box says "Touring", I am easily pleased!)

And the simple little green box with the drawing of a bicycle on it:smile:

Just wonderful

upandover

Guru
I've found the halfords one I picked up (they looked tougher) poor, but the Park ones are excellent, I have a couple of innertubes running with park patches on. Also good on airbeds etc!

I've even used one on a split tyre that looked concerning, on the outside of the tyre (fairly small, but still). So good I forgot about it, and only noticed it a couple of weeks of commutes later, intact!

J4CKO

I just keep two new tubes with me, tyre levers and a pump, generally a puncture occurs when its dark and p1ssing down which is not when you want to be messing with glue and patches, just collect up a selection of tubes with holes in the garage and then have a marathon fixing session.

Hoping to avoid it over the winter, just fitted a Bontrager Hard Case, a supposedly puncture resistant tyre on the back (front was still ok, rear was disentegrating) and slime filled tubes which I know dont have a good rep but they are pretty thick even if the slime doesnt do the trick.

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
J4CKO said:
Hoping to avoid it over the winter, just fitted a Bontrager Hard Case, a supposedly puncture resistant tyre on the back (front was still ok, rear was disentegrating) and slime filled tubes which I know dont have a good rep but they are pretty thick even if the slime doesnt do the trick.

I use Bontrager Racelite hardcase tyres. Bloody good!!! But nothing is puncture proof. Things still get through, just not so often. ;)

J4CKO

Trev,The Bontragers have a reputation for being a bit iffy in the wet, its on the rear so not quite as much of a worry as the front but was wondering if you had any experience of this ? had Conti Sports before and have been quite pleased with them, rear lasted about 2000 miles but though it still had a bit of life the tread started separating around a bit of a cut in it.

Ditto on the Park patches, if I were to bother fixing tubes at the roadside, thats the way to go, pricey though.

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
J4CKO said:
Trev,The Bontragers have a reputation for being a bit iffy in the wet, its on the rear so not quite as much of a worry as the front but was wondering if you had any experience of this ? had Conti Sports before and have been quite pleased with them, rear lasted about 2000 miles but though it still had a bit of life the tread started separating around a bit of a cut in it.

Well they are slicks, so i guess you're going to have a few moments. I did come off in the rain in the summer. Entering the works gates. Combination of water and diesel i think, all the lorries going in. I used them in all the snow and the frost. Just take it easy on them with those conditions.
I never change my tyres for winter and summer use.
I've done about 3000 miles on mine so far. The rear is looking sorry for itself. I only change things when the are really knackered.

Trevrev said:
I use Bontrager Racelite hardcase tyres. Bloody good!!! But nothing is puncture proof. Things still get through, just not so often. ;)

You are wrong,there is a "tyre" I have been using on the back and it's never had a puncture and never likely to.

Goldfang

Not had any experience with stick on patches, but since I started using schwalbe marathon tyres I have never had a puncture! Am I just lucky? It took me years to learn how to mend a puncture properly, until an old school bike shop owner let me in on the secret. In his own words,"put the glue on, then go and have a dump, then a cup of tea and then come back and stick the patch on" I have to agree that the standard/quality of puncture repair kits varies hugely. I seem to recall a few years ago you could buy all the items seperately, big tubes of glue and shheets of patches?
Regards, Goldfang.

Top Bottom