Self-Charging Bicycle Navigation - Student Research

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's probably asked/answered in the link, but would this require seperate euipment as a replacement. Or would it work alongside existing technology?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
You need a 'prefer not to answer' option for household income.

Since I now solely use a bike to commute, and I know all my route options well, I wouldn't buy such a device anyway.

Tried to help.....
Some people ride a bike for more than 1 reason
Some people have tried different gps devices
Self charging is not clear enough. Is that in addition to or using my existing hub dynamo?
Too many pages of similar questions
Gave up when I can decline to specify my gender but not my income.

icowden

Veteran
As above, I tried the survey, but your price points are fixed too high. The differentiation between the configurations is difficult to read. You won't get any meaningful data from this survey. I would suggest that before posting the survey to the forum, you should really road test it with fellow students. Get feedback.

Also think about the data you will receive and how you want to present it. I can't see that this is going to produce anything useful. You'd be better off evaluating how important different features are, and what price point people think is reasonable.

KneesUp

Guru
Oh I do love a good bad survey! I was particularly looking forward to this one so I could find out how it is intended the device will "self charge" - I've seen solar and dynamo power used to charge devices, but a self-charging one could be the answer to a lot of problems if the technology can be up-scaled.

However I've not done the survey because:

Screenshot from 2019-03-13 11-35-38.png

Sharky

Guru
Need to think more laterally. No point building an expensive /complicated self charging mechanism into a cycle computer/gps device. Just build the device with removable batteries and these should be ones that can be purchased from any corner shop (AA or AAA batteries). Such batteries are cheap and have very little weight penalty, so riders can carry as many spares as anticipated for the time expected to be on the road.

KneesUp

Guru
I tried again. I got to answer some questions this time. I got as far as the question @HobbesOnTour mentions where you need check boxes not radio buttons so you can choose more than one answer. Then I got this again. At least I got to answer some questions this time - last time it said it immediately.

Screenshot from 2019-03-13 15-18-13.png

Top Bottom