Self designed transfers or stickers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm pretty sure I asked this before and forgot, so my apologies....

Does anyone know of a source of stickers or transfers for my own designs? Preferably where I send a PDF of the transfers to a company for printing; I printed transfers myself for my previous project but the aren't really designed for outdoor all weather use.

It is a good idea!
I don't know of anyone but I have toyed with the idea of making some myself .
How big and complicated are they ?
How many do you need ?
How many colours involved ?
I'm only asking as I remember doing a bit of silk screen printing at college many years ago .
Could your design be put onto a silk screen and then a more suitable paint be used for external use and lacquered over ?
An interesting project !

It is a good idea!
I don't know of anyone but I have toyed with the idea of making some myself .
How big and complicated are they ?
How many do you need ?
How many colours involved ?
I'm only asking as I remember doing a bit of silk screen printing at college many years ago .
Could your design be put onto a silk screen and then a more suitable paint be used for external use and lacquered over ?
An interesting project !

On this bike I used transfers designed for model making:

didge_to_wayfarer-png.png

Unfortunately despite much varnishing they're starting to show signs of sun/weather damage, probably due to being designed for models that live indoors.

In that case I just made a PDF on "The Gimp"; very good free Photoshop clone, with downloaded fonts and self made logos, and printed it on a regular laser jet printer.

I'm open to alternatives, even hand painting if necessary, but I thought I'd start where I left off...

I'd never considered screen printing, to be honest. Will have to see how that works.

On this bike I used transfers designed for model making:

View attachment 654047
Unfortunately despite much varnishing they're starting to show signs of sun/weather damage, probably due to being designed for models that live indoors.

In that case I just made a PDF on "The Gimp"; very good free Photoshop clone, with downloaded fonts and self made logos, and printed it on a regular laser jet printer.

I'm open to alternatives, even hand painting if necessary, but I thought I'd start where I left off...

I'd never considered screen printing, to be honest. Will have to see how that works.

It looks like the paint or dye didn't like ultra violet and have faded .
I was wondering if there are any aero modellers who might know of any things? I discovered how to make some water slide transfers from aero modellers magazines in the 60's.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Are those not designed for instruments?

Yes but surely waterslide decals are much of a muchness?

By the looks of it if your design fits and A4 sheet, they can make it for you.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I used (admittedly self printed) waterslide transfers on my last bike refurb and they hold but the UV has faded them. I'm conscious that instruments tend to be better protected from the weather than bicycles.

That'll be down the type of ink used rather than the intended application. Dismissing a product without knowing if the ink is uv tolerant or not is silly. This is what you need to find out (by emailing the makers) rather than thinking, well that will fade coz it's for a guitar and that won't because it's for a bike.

That'll be down the type of ink used rather than the intended application. Dismissing a product without knowing if the ink is uv tolerant or not is silly. This is what you need to find out (by emailing the makers) rather than thinking, well that will fade coz it's for a guitar and that won't because it's for a bike.

I wasn't dismissing it, just wondering if it is suitable as it isn't marketed for that purpose. I took the possibility of the ink being the cause of the fading into account.

Gwylan

Veteran
Make your own. MS Publisher lets you do what you like.

Avery has loads of labels in sizes and materials to give a choice
We have used Avery Heavy Duty, transparent labels. They claim they are suitable for exterior use.

L7060 for a starting point.

Top Bottom