Self employed jobs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Exactly. Some people are just lazy
Or there's the oft quoted claim of 'I don't have the time' . Then why but a property with a garden - ?
The whole court where I live is finished with the dreaded brickweave, so every so often I attack the weeds on our drive with, not a long handled 'made for the job' scraper / stiff brush combi, or a flame gun, but sitting on my arse with an old kitchen knife - ! Brush up the scrapings with a broom; job done. :okay:
Very relaxing, therapeutic and keeps me flexible - ! ^_^
Win all round - ! :laugh:

Slick

Guru
Or there's the oft quoted claim of 'I don't have the time' . Then why but a property with a garden - ?
The whole court where I live is finished with the dreaded brickweave, so every so often I attack the weeds on our drive with, not a long handled 'made for the job' scraper / stiff brush combi, or a flame gun, but sitting on my arse with an old kitchen knife - ! Brush up the scrapings with a broom; job done. :okay:
Very relaxing, therapeutic and keeps me flexible - ! ^_^
Win all round - ! :laugh:

Personally I couldn't think of anything worse, but Mrs Slick is much like yourself and loves it.

That said, like any other job, I would do it if I had to.

spen666

Legendary Member
Dog boarding at home.
You do need to get licenced and produce / buy in paperwork, and you'll be very busy over the summer holidays.
I charge £35 per dog per night, and I'm licenced for up to 4 dogs. Two is much nicer!

Nice earrner

It can be. It's a bit tough sometimes - if you're not careful you can end up with 9 weeks with no time off at all. In 2022 I had two days off between late June and mid-September. 2023 I didn't even manage that.

Advertise at £35, find someone that does it for £20. Sublet the dogs out to them and you're £15 a dog up for just dropping them off. :okay:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I think it still can be, certainly seems to be around the whisky industry round here for example.

Wet-glue is a different niche again. Not one we ventured into.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Advertise at £35, find someone that does it for £20. Sublet the dogs out to them and you're £15 a dog up for just dropping them off. :okay:

If only I'd thought of that! Sadly, I send daily photos and the owners now expect it. There's a limit to how often I can send the same photo of a dog asleep on my bed before they twig.

Last edited:
Like @Oldhippy I'd love to write for a living. I sort of did for a while while working in youth theatre, but it didn't pay the bills, sadly.

I'd really like to open a bike cafe with a performance space for the evenings, possible staffed by people with psychological or substance abuse issues, the sort of people I work with now, but in a much smaller scale and a quieter environment, and maybe with a crafting element making things like jewellery or similar. I've noticed a lot of our clients are very intelligent and can do quite complex things, but can't handle noisy or busy working places.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I know there are plenty do it self employed on a regular basis, but my suggestion was to be more like an agency to try and get paid as much as possible. My brother isn't looking for anything regular, he has too much cycling he wants to do, but backfilling for top dollar appealed to him.

This can be a key factor, IMHO. After redundancy with a payout at age 55, I spent the next 5 years as a self employed software engineer. It worked out really well, but, I had the peace of mind that I didn't HAVE to earn enough to pay the mortgage, feed the children etc

Slick

Guru
This can be a key factor, IMHO. After redundancy with a payout at age 55, I spent the next 5 years as a self employed software engineer. It worked out really well, but, I had the peace of mind that I didn't HAVE to earn enough to pay the mortgage, feed the children etc

Exactly, which in turn means you can usually charge them like a wounded rhino when you are required as it usually means someone else has let them down. :okay:

Top Bottom