Self surgery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Only yesterday morning my dentist was telling g me about one of his uni tutors who did his own dentistry because he didn't trust anyone else to be as good as he was. :ohmy:

I have a compact electronics drill for circuit boards that zips round at 22,000 rpm and takes 0.5mm diameter drill bits. I might be able to drill into my front teeth but the back ones would need a right angle drive. Besides, doing intricate stuff using a mirror is quite a skill. Maybe simple extraction with one of my many pairs of pliers might be easier.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
A have a compact electronics drill for circuit boards that zips round at 22,000 rpm and takes 0.5mm diameter drill bits. I might be able to drill into my front teeth but the back ones would need a right angle drive. Besides, doing intricate stuff using a mirror is quite a skill. Maybe simple extraction with one of my many pair of pliers might be easier.
Camera mounted on/near the end of the drill body!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Only yesterday morning my dentist was telling g me about one of his uni tutors who did his own dentistry because he didn't trust anyone else to be as good as he was. :ohmy:
I have contemplated pulling out what is left of a broken tooth of mine but decided against it because I would probably fall foul of my warfarin-'thinned' blood and end up as an emergency admission to hospital ...

I have recently mentioned amputating one of my own fingernails with a Stanley knife - LINK!

classic33

Leg End Member
I have contemplated pulling out what is left of a broken tooth of mine but decided against it because I would probably fall foul of my warfarin-'thinned' blood and end up as an emergency admission to hospital ...

I have recently mentioned amputating one of my own fingernails with a Stanley knife - LINK!
Gently teasing the nail off, bit by bit.
Done similar on my right thumb, using a modellers knife in 88 and my big toenail in 01.
Scalpel used for the toenail, but a curved blade for both.

Mrs M

Guru
I had a skin tag near my eye. Was so ugly it had to go so I just pulled it off with my nails.
It was bleeding a bit but it was gone :smile:.
Mr M was horrified, he'd had one and went to Dr's to get it sorted.
Had to go for a lie down after his "operation" :eek:.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ive pulled what i thought was a bit of tooth the dentist had missed many years ago . It appeared that she had also left half the nerve attached to that bit of tooth . I found this out because when i yanked down on the pliers i felt my eye socket move .

ScotiaLass

Guru
I didn't plan to, but when I was about 12, I had a wart on my knee. I fell off a skateboard and ripped it right out! Blood everywhere and my mum was horrified but I was quite pleased.
I believe that superglue was first invented to be used by army medics for glueing wounds together in the field.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ive pulled what i thought was a bit of tooth the dentist had missed many years ago . It appeared that she had also left half the nerve attached to that bit of tooth . I found this out because when i yanked down on the pliers i felt my eye socket move .
ColinJ finally rips up half-hearted self-dentistry plan and searches for a copy of 'Dental treatment for timid patients (non-fainting edition)' ... :whistle:

Davidc

Guru
If they're accessible corns are self operable. Small instrument screwdriver and tweezers. Inaccessible ones cost £30 for the chiropodist to take out, so good incentive for the DIY approach.

Ganymede

Veteran
This is a lovely thread.

Ranulph Fiennes is famous for this isn't he - removing his own frostbitten fingertips with a hacksaw because he couldn't be arsed to wait for the doctor?

I myself have done the hot-thing through the fingernail stuff (agree re paperclip) and also hit a wrist ganglion with a big book to make it go away. It did. My doc had looked at it and said "In the old days, you would have whacked that with the family bible, but I'm not going to because it's unprofessional". Hardback Shakespeare did the trick.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
This is a xx( thread!

The most I have ever done is syringe my own ears... worked a treat and without waiting days for an appointment.

Ooh that's worth remembering. What did you use to do it - ie what appliance, and did you have detergent / soap in the warm water?

Obviously you do the olive oil thing for a week first.

I only just managed to talk myself out of DIY tooth extraction 3am ine Christmas morning. Got as far as finding a big pliers but didn't go ahead. It f**n hurt and I was desperate

Top Bottom