Selling a car on Gumtree...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I've not used Gumtree before. Is it OK for selling a car? Are there any pitfalls to look out for?

Any advice welcome. Thanks.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I've not used Gumtree before. Is it OK for selling a car? Are there any pitfalls to look out for?

Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Only deal in cash, as per selling a car privately anywhere, make sure the paperwork is sorted post sale, and bag a signature

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Last year I sold a car on gumtree on behalf of my employer. It was a Ford Galaxy, every panel was dented, the interior was graffitied and generally very grubby.Otherwise mechanically good.(Apart from the tyres!) I put all this in the advert but was still surprised at the ammount of calls I got. It sold within a couple of days.
As gb155 sugests I got a signature on the V5C and also Name, address and signature on a receipt just in case any parking tickets came our way after the sale.

rollinstok

I think selling should be ok, its buying where the problems lie. I often have a peep on the local gumtree to see if there are any cycling related bargains. Judging by the extremely poor standard of English used by some sellers and the totally inadequate descriptions given, I often think they are flogging stolen bikes.

musa

Über Member
I think all has been said be prepared for timewasters and text messages but get a receipt or rather you pre write a receipt do two copies one for you and them both parties sign it do the details of the V5 with the person present and call your insurance company and tell them to cancel the policy either with immediate effect or 7 days time

Top Bottom