Selling a house that's in need of modernisation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As an aside are people aware one can put property in to trust? The trust becomes the legal owner and the occupants tenants for life. There are advantages, mainly no property owned for the LA to chase, if one has to go in to care.

I'm still talking to the solicitor about what I see as potential pitfalls but overall this seems sensible longer term planning.

We were way too late for any of that when FIL died quite quickly, and MIL already had 4 x carers a day, plus FIL's care. We missed the boat, but I still think the Council can get the funds - I think we discussed 'trusts' some years ago as FIL was clued up on all this but they both refused.

We've done well to keep her in her home for the last 5 years - no chance now as she hasn't 'stood up' for nearly a year (gave up after illness), so no chance of improvement now, plus her heart/lungs struggle with any movement.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Selling is on hold. If we keep the house and have a deferred charge applied, then it works out at £50k a year via the council. If we sell, and fund the place directly, then the cost rockets up to £68k as the fee isn't capped like it is through the council. Blimey.

SIL has removed all the polystyrene ceiling tiles, but has left a right mess. Ceiling will need sanding and skimming. Looks worse that leaving it.

Top Bottom