Selling a wedding ring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I paid £600 for my wedding ring about 8 years ago (not sure what the carat is off-hand). I just wondered if anyone has sold one, where did you go and how much did you get? It is a plain gold wedding band.

I've looked at advice online but all I can find is women who have sold diamond rings. The suggestion is that it might be better to sell on eBay?

gbb

Legendary Member
I suspect most commercial buyers will only be interested in the scrap value so should you go down that route, research the hall mark and it should identify how many carat it is. We sold my wifes gold collection, rings, everything a few years ago when she shifted to white gold and most buyers just give you 9 carat prices. We soon hauled them up on that. Theres a huge variation in prices from different shops.
All dependent on current prices but we were getting scrap prices that equalled what we'd paid retail some years before.

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Thanks. I now know it's 18 carat as it's retailing for the same price in Ernest Jones where I got it from. I will go into town on Saturday and get some quotes. I'm expecting £100; might Ebay it and see what I get otherwise

Scrap it is. Jewelry is one of the most expensive items to retail, hence there is very little second hand value in it, only intrinsic value which is scrap value.

Slick

Guru
Obviously, a private sale may get you a bit closer to what you need to make it work. Size it and Ebay it.

gbb

Legendary Member
You mention in the first post that you can only find advice from women that sold their rings...rings true (scuse the pun) with what my wife found. All her stuff attracted scrap prices but one ring, the best one, attracted a little more cash from the shop because it was attractive enough for them to resell it.
Can the same be said for a plain mens wedding band you ask yourself ?

KneesUp

Guru
I weighed the one from my first marriage in at a working jeweller. It wasn’t an expensive ring at all even new but I got what I paid for it originally which was enough for a very nice bottle of wine which Mrs K and I very much enjoyed.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
i have my two wedding rings. Only married once,but the first ring i bent by catching it in a WH Smith door handle, so the then Mrs Accy bought me another one. Both are 18 carat,so they'll be worth a few bob,but i'll keep them anyway. I was reluctant to wear a wedding ring,or any ring at all,but she talked me into it. I kind of miss wearing one now,so maybe i could wear the latter one,as nobody gives a shoot if i'm married or not.

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Just to update the thread. My ring was 18ct yellow gold. I looked up what similar items had sold for on E-bay, and it averaged at £130 - £160. I went to an independent jewellers in town and they offered me £165. I'm quite chuffed.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I realise the ring is sold - well done, but why didn't you just weigh it to find out the value ?

The price of gold, in grams, is easily available - currently £27.41/g

18ct gold is 75% pure gold.

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I realise the ring is sold - well done, but why didn't you just weigh it to find out the value ?
1) I don't have very accurate scales.
2) Its value depends on who wants to buy it at the time. I wasn't willing to post it off to cash-4-gold companies so only had one indy jeweller to choose from. The "wants" 2nd hand store is chav central and I walked out when they asked me how much I was looking to get for it.
c) I just wanted it sold on the day, cash in hand. I might have got slightly more for it but I was pleased with the price in the end.

My partner wanted to sell her rings as well, they wouldn't even make an offer for her platinum ring (bought for £1k) and suggested to advertise it on Facebook! She said no-one is buying them much at the moment and they have plenty of stock. The fact that they were honest about prices etc was also why I was happy to deal from them, as their customer service was excellent too.

johnblack

Über Member
I took a load of rings to a valuer, she's off the TV, does a monthly session in a local village hall. All old antique stuff from my late Nan and Mum. She said very nice things about it all, didn't weigh any thing just gave it the once over and gave everything a value, £50, £100, £150 or £200. all based on a guess weight, style and age meant nothing, all based on scrap value. I didn't bother selling them, let the kids wear them, they like the vintage stuff and as they're not worth that much I'd rather they get some use.

I had 2, one i bent at work and a replacement, sold them for scrap at the local jewellers for 60 quid, took a pic of them and the money on the counter and sent it to the ex explaining she was paying for tonights meal with my new girlfriend 😂😂

Top Bottom