Selling kids bikes - how to value them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We've got a frog 55 bike to sell, reasonable standard but we'll used from family rides to 2 week cycle tour. We're looking at selling on FB marketplace for local and ease of selling reasons. How should we price it up?

Looking on gumtree they're down at £200 but ebay £90-190. My partner thinks £30 cash and collected. I look at it as a bike our son had when he was still into cycling, being with us and cycle touring holidays (away from WiFi and power sockets). That means I don't like the idea of giving it away like that.

What's your advice? Sell to clear quickly or a fair price if a little cheaper to raise interest? I'm thinking £80-90.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
We've got a frog 55 bike to sell, reasonable standard but we'll used from family rides to 2 week cycle tour. We're looking at selling on FB marketplace for local and ease of selling reasons. How should we price it up?

Looking on gumtree they're down at £200 but ebay £90-190. My partner thinks £30 cash and collected. I look at it as a bike our son had when he was still into cycling, being with us and cycle touring holidays (away from WiFi and power sockets). That means I don't like the idea of giving it away like that.

What's your advice? Sell to clear quickly or a fair price if a little cheaper to raise interest? I'm thinking £80-90.

i think your closer to the mark , trouble is it depends on how much people are willing to pay .most people think kids bike are just a bso special and pay accordingly .
might be worth trying to sell here first ?

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
Unfortunately kids bikes go cheap. They’re often not cared for and have been beat up pretty good, add to that the usual lower component quality and they just don’t hold their value. When we were selling our boys bikes as they outgrew them we usually struggled to get decent money for them, my older kids last bike I just put at the curb with a “free” sign.

The fact that your son got into cycling on it adds nothing to the value. You can try and sell it on a forum like marketplace at a reasonable price and watch the listing sit for ages. I like your partners idea, sell it cheap and be done with it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Unfortunately kids bikes go cheap. They’re often not cared for and have been beat up pretty good, add to that the usual lower component quality and they just don’t hold their value. When we were selling our boys bikes as they outgrew them we usually struggled to get decent money for them, my older kids last bike I just put at the curb with a “free” sign.

The fact that your son got into cycling on it adds nothing to the value. You can try and sell it on a forum like marketplace at a reasonable price and watch the listing sit for ages. I like your partners idea, sell it cheap and be done with it.

i tried selling an adult bike for £20 just to get rid of it with a brand new chain, someone offered me £10 so i told them i would rather take the chain off as a spare and scrap it

Jameshow

Veteran

They are or cheap bikes with cheap components!

I'd suggest £125 and take £100??

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Putting it on for £50. Forgot the grips need replacing and there's a big flake of outer paint layer missing on the top tube near the seatpost. It's showing the inner coat of paint which is white compared to the orange outer colour. I reckon 50 is fair considering. Will have to find the offroad tyres to go with it.

Tbh it will be good to get it to someone who might use it. Whilst irrelevant to us selling it our history with it I'll remember fondly.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My advice is to price them to sell and not what their value is. Otherwise you will have them forever.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
As others have said difficult to price for all the reasons mentioned.
My daughters last two bikes were bso types and ended up giving them away after a quick service.
Marketplace is a funny one as most people will pass it buy for the £80 it rightly deserves.
I reckon £50 will get it sold though

Hicky

Guru
I've given bikes away after cleaning them up, usually to neighbours etc and enjoy watching someone else's kids get joy from the bike and hopefully create another biker!

We have this problem; most kids bike that come to us are complete wrecks; poor quality to begin with, they were then used by two or three generations and kept outside.

We have a lot of people asking for kids bikes but they generally expect one with all the bells and whistles, that looks new for 10€.

Top Bottom