Selling photos/prints online?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was asked (via my Flickr site) if I sold prints of my images. Has anyone sold prints via online sites, and what's the best way to go about this? Is selling prints, rather than limited rights to use an original file the best plan? Any advice?

Andy

Alan Whicker

I've had a few sales via Photographers Direct and Flickr - I get a print done via Photobox and sell them that.

Photobox also have a pro-gallery service where you can get prints made on demand: http://www.photoboxgallery.com/

Alan Whicker

I haven't any experience with corporate clients (except sales via Alamy), but an unmounted 10x8 (or A4) print is worth at least a tenner. The main thing is not to sell yourself too cheap, particularly if you've got a fairly unique image. Factor in the cost and hassle it took to get you to the point where you pressed the shutter. And remember, they came to you. Also make it very clear that the copyright remains with you.

Have you considered joining Alamy?

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I haven't any experience with corporate clients (except sales via Alamy), but an unmounted 10x8 (or A4) print is worth at least a tenner. The main thing is not to sell yourself too cheap, particularly if you've got a fairly unique image. Factor in the cost and hassle it took to get you to the point where you pressed the shutter. And remember, they came to you. Also make it very clear that the copyright remains with you.

Have you considered joining Alamy?

Alamy is good. You need some quality images on there though to make money. I'm told the pros with the model released shots make the most as it goes to advertisers. Next up is travel imagery.

I'll be leaving Alamy this year though. Just not making money and not really into it anymore tbh.

Top Bottom