Selling stuff on Gumtree.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Having never used Gumtree before, today I decided to open an account and to start clearing out some stuff.
I have started off by advertising a motorbike and a pedal cycle. There will be at least one more bicycle and a host of motorcycle equipment to follow. (Giving up motorbikes after 33 years following the loss of 2 friends in 6 months in motorbike crashes; most recently on the way to a rideout I attended last weekend in the Lake district :sad:).

The only responses I have had so far are with regards to the motorbike; surprising since according to Gumtree it has had zero views! All 3 responses have been by text message from 3 separate (or are they?) respondents. Strangely, their numbers don't show up on my calls received list on my phone, but a name does despite them not being in my phone book. That made me suspicious right away so I didn't respond. So far I have had texts from "Michael", "James" and "Richard". All texts follow a similar format along the lines of "I'm interested in your vehicle. What is your last asking price and its present condition? Kindly e-mail me and send photos to carlosjame@outlook.com".

If I was interested in a motorbike for sale, I would call the advertised number; not text them and ask the seller to e-mail details which are already clear on the advert!
Is this the beginning of some kind of attempt at a scam? e.g. next step is for them to offer above the asking price as long as I give them the difference first, or however that particular scam works. Just wondering what the score is with these people, as a newbie to Gumtree.

Be care with Gumtree ... its not regulated so I am told
place for unsavory characters to lurk .

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I sell on Gumtree and the "What is your final price and its present condition? Kindly e-mail me and send photos to somebodyorother@outlook.com or gmail.com". They are scammers, they always offer over the asking price and say to courier the items to their 'agent' and that they will pay first, via paypal. Just ignore them.

classic33

Leg End Member
Check message details for the number used to send the text messages.
That a name appears and not a number usually means an account has been set up. I know of one other means of preventing the sending number from showing, on a text message, but its not too well known and can depend on the network used to send it.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I sell on Gumtree and the "What is your final price and its present condition? Kindly e-mail me and send photos to somebodyorother@outlook.com or gmail.com". They are scammers, they always offer over the asking price and say to courier the items to their 'agent' and that they will pay first, via paypal. Just ignore them.

always use gumtree with good results bur anything being sold for over £300 always attracts the above e mails and texts

ashleygg585

Having never used Gumtree before, today I decided to open an account and to start clearing out some stuff.
I have started off by advertising a motorbike and a pedal cycle. There will be at least one more bicycle and a host of motorcycle equipment to follow. (Giving up motorbikes after 33 years following the loss of 2 friends in 6 months in motorbike crashes; most recently on the way to a rideout I attended last weekend in the Lake district :sad:).

The only responses I have had so far are with regards to the motorbike; surprising since according to Gumtree it has had zero views! All 3 responses have been by text message from 3 separate (or are they?) respondents. Strangely, their numbers don't show up on my calls received list on my phone, but a name does despite them not being in my phone book. That made me suspicious right away so I didn't respond. So far I have had texts from "Michael", "James" and "Richard". All texts follow a similar format along the lines of "I'm interested in your vehicle. What is your last asking price and its present condition? Kindly e-mail me and send photos to carlosjame@outlook.com".

If I was interested in a motorbike for sale, I would call the advertised number; not text them and ask the seller to e-mail details which are already clear on the advert!
Is this the beginning of some kind of attempt at a scam? e.g. next step is for them to offer above the asking price as long as I give them the difference first, or however that particular scam works. Just wondering what the score is with these people, as a newbie to Gumtree.

wouldnt bother with them ebay owns gumtree and dont need to tell you how bad ebay is with helping sellers and there losing to customers and traffic to sites like shpock and emazed others

Top Bottom