Selling stuff/Receiving Payment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks all. So it sounds like, for convenience of the buyer I may want to set up a Paypal a/c. But first see if buyer wants to direct transfer funds to my bank. I can move funds out of PP to my current a/c after the sale but with a transaction fee. I'd probably close it after as I won't need it subsequently.

Any comments on sites like ebay or gumtree?

A Mercian frame, a Spa built Shimano dynamo front wheel and a B&M lighting rig (front & rear)
There’s no fee as far as I know to move money out of PayPal but to accept it in the first place?

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
There’s no fee as far as I know to move money out of PayPal but to accept it in the first place?

Indeed, PayPal charges apply to the recipient of funding.
Using PayPal as a buyer makes very good sense.

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5133171, member: 45"]It depends where PayPal takes the money from on the giver's side. With PayPal gift there's a charge if the money comes from a credit card account.[/QUOTE]
There's no protection though. From my reading when deciding how to pay for the Ti, as far as I could tell, PPG or Friends and Family is for gifting money and not buying stuff with PayPal protection

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Pro#s and cons for each selling site (IME):

E-bay: very flexible, you can auction, buy it now, or best offer (sort of like classifieds). Local people can pay cash on collection. You have back-up if they pay by PayPal but you have to sacrifice in terms of commission and fees. If posting, make sure you get it weighed or get a quote first, otherwise it may cost more than you have advertise for P&P. Take photos of how you package it, as I've experienced royal mail/couriers who destroy stuff and then eBay usually side with the buyer and force you to refund money. Taking this up with the carrier is a nightmare, as technically once paid for it's the buyer's problem but Ebay do not care about that.

Gumtree - totally free and simple, cash on collection, but be prepared to be messed about by people not showing up when they say. Shouldn't be an issue with an expensive bike frame though, it's more for things like cheap cars/bikes/exchange and mart stuff. You can't quibble with cash in hand.

Facebook - same as Gumtree but becoming a really popular way if selling. It has the advantage of making more people look at it whilst on FB, rather than requiring the buyer to actively go onto Gumtree.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Another Ebayer here, in 465 transactions we have had a handful of irritating buyers but nothing has ever gone wrong. We have sold so much household junk.

Top Bottom