Selling the Speedmachine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona N

Veteran
Well I've finally made the decision to sell the Speedmachine and I'm wondering what the best way/place to go about it. Should I just go for Ebay or try the small ads in here/Velovision/Bike Magic and whatnot first?

Any advice would be welcome, bearing in mind I'm not just trying to get shot of it, it's in excellent condition with quite a few upgrades and additions - it would be around £2800 to replace and I'd like to see a reasonable proportion of that back to fund a new bike.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I put an ad for my Trice on here and on YACF and could have sold it twice over at least.

squeaker

Über Member
My approach would be, if not in a major rush, try here and other similar sites (inc. Velovision, CTC, even BROL). If no takers, then flea-bay with a sensible reserve.

OP
OP
Fiona N

Fiona N

Veteran
Thanks for the replies - sorry it's taken so long but I'd forgotten I'd posted the question. Anyway, the new bike arrives Friday so I've got to pass the Speedmachine along so will advertise here and a few other sympathetic places before Ebaying

Here's the beast in question:
picture.php
album.php

OP
OP
Fiona N

Fiona N

Veteran
Hi Sheddy - By 'where are you' do you mean the location of my abode ?

If so, it's Kendal in South Lakes but I'm assuming that I will be delivering the Speedmachine to the buyer pretty much anywhere in the UK so I wouldn't use this as a criterion :smile:

OP
OP
Fiona N

Fiona N

Veteran
Catrike UK said:
What did you go for as a replacement?

Not a recumbent :rofl:
I bought the Speedmachine when my back problems meant that upright riding was out of the question but my Windcheetah wasn't practical enough e.g. getting to a training camp in Mallorca in March - basically I would have needed to ride there as no airlines would even consider the Windcheetah and, of course, the TGVs are hopeless, European Bike Express doesn't run that early in the year etc. so I bought the SpM in a hurry.
While I really enjoy it and especially the downhill speed, it's not ideal for the Lake District hills (well, unless you're LeeW :biggrin:) and, for touring, the Windcheetah is unbeatable - which is what I bought it for.
Once my back improved to where upright riding is again OK, I decided to get another road bike, having sold them all a few years ago to avoid the temptation. So I've got a Hewitt Alpine carbon - nice and light, fast enough for day rides but I can add a rack for credit card touring or longer Audaxes.

Fiona N said:
Not a recumbent ;)
I bought the Speedmachine when my back problems meant that upright riding was out of the question but my Windcheetah wasn't practical enough e.g. getting to a training camp in Mallorca in March - basically I would have needed to ride there as no airlines would even consider the Windcheetah and, of course, the TGVs are hopeless, European Bike Express doesn't run that early in the year etc. so I bought the SpM in a hurry.
While I really enjoy it and especially the downhill speed, it's not ideal for the Lake District hills (well, unless you're LeeW :biggrin:) and, for touring, the Windcheetah is unbeatable - which is what I bought it for.
Once my back improved to where upright riding is again OK, I decided to get another road bike, having sold them all a few years ago to avoid the temptation. So I've got a Hewitt Alpine carbon - nice and light, fast enough for day rides but I can add a rack for credit card touring or longer Audaxes.

An upwrong???!!!! Get thee behind me satan! :rofl:

Top Bottom